Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com> on 2014/09/24 16:49:05 UTC

(Unknown)

Hello

Using subversion 1.7.6 on windows with visual studio 2008 on windows 7 and I'm wondering why subversion won't add new files.  I've had problems with subversion adding junk to the repository and I was able to stop that using global ignores.  Having to remember to manually add files, and if I add a form I must remember to add 3 files, runs the risk of losing data at worst and merge conflicts at best.

I did move my code from a network share to a local drive.  I just copied everything.  The other commands seem to work well enough.  Here's a section from my config file in C:\Users\JohnM.ROTAIR\AppData\Roaming\Subversion
# global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo *.sou
#   *.rej *~ #*# .#* .*.swp .DS_Store
global-ignores = *.suo *.user bin obj

There are no other global ignores in that file.

Re: subversion won’t add new files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:59 AM, John Maher wrote:

> Thanks for the links Ryan, but I've read through chapter 4.  Can't say I understand through chapter 4, but reading it again will unlikely produce better results.  Maybe in a couple of years.
>
> And I must mention that once you understand something you have a bias toward it, i.e. the understanding.  To say it's clear does nothing to describe the state of it to someone without your knowledge.  Plus it is not helpful to anyone who does not understand something to say "works for me."  That is borderline combative and creates a rift threatening further understanding.  I apologize if I took your comment wrong but it's important to me to help you to improve your comments.  You can ignore me and that’s fine, I don't mind.  But if I see an unuseful comment from someone who may wish to make only useful comments and I don't help them then its shame on me.
>
> And I would like to help with the book.  I don't believe I am at a level to do that properly yet.  I have a long way to go.

The impression I got from your first messages was "this tool does not work correctly"; I was trying to transform that to "I don't understand how to use this tool correctly" and to help you address that. I apologize that I'm not communicating well.

As you've read, the "svn add" command is mentioned in Chapter 2, where it says "sometimes you need to add, remove, copy and move files and directories—the svn add, svn delete, svn copy, and svn move commands handle those sorts of structural changes"; "svn add FOO" is documented a few paragraphs later: "Use this to schedule the file, directory, or symbolic link FOO to be added to the repository." Further discussion and examples follow in the rest of the chapter.

You previously mentioned Subversion adding files you didn't want it to. "svn add" only schedules for addition those files that you tell it to, and you can review that and even change your mind (using "svn revert") before committing, so the only cause of this that I can think of is running "svn import". "svn import"'s job is to bring all of an existing unversioned directory's files into your repository, minus any files whose names are matched by the global ignores. If there were files in that directory that you didn't want to add that weren't matched by your global ignores, that would explain files getting committed that you didn't want in the repository.

"svn import" is something of a special-case command, used only in the limited circumstance of getting an existing unversioned directory of files into your repository, and even for that use case, you don't have to use "svn import"; an alternative is the "in-place import" process:

http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#in-place-import

In short, you make an empty directory in the repository (with "svn mkdir"), then turn your unversioned directory into a working copy pointing to that empty directory in the repository (with "svn checkout"), then you "svn add" the files what you want. This has the advantage of giving you the opportunity of reviewing (with "svn status") exactly what files will be included before they get into the repository, and letting you refine that by "svn add"ing additional files or "svn revert"ing files you didn't mean to add. This more closely matches the normal Subversion workflow, in which you make changes (i.e. "svn add" unversioned files, or edit or "svn mv" or "svn rm" versioned files), then review (with "svn status" and "svn diff") before committing (with "svn commit").

RE: subversion won’t add new files

Posted by John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com>.
[...]

JM

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by jb...@icloud.com.
On Sep 24, 2014, at 9:42 AM, John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the link jb.  Reading through that section of the book I encountered "file changes" and "tree changes."  It also just mentions "changes" numerous times.  On my initial reading it appears that when the book mentions "changes" without specifying the type (like the definition of the "Commit" command) it is talking about "file changes" ONLY and it is excluding "tree changes."  Just wondering if that assumption would be right most of the time or could it go either way and I would have to test to see which one was applicable.  I tried looking at other mentions of the "changes" but due to my ignorance of the software I wasn't able to come to any conclusions myself.

If you issue the 'svn commit' command without specifying any filenames, svn assumes (as a work-flow optimization) that you wish to commit all changes to all tracked files from that point in the file tree, recursively.

I say this is an optimization because 'commit' and 'update' are very frequently used in normal subversion activities. By way of contrast, Git assumes nothing, and requires you to explicitly 'git add' any changed files you wish to include in your commit, in addition to any directories or new files you wish to include.

RE: subversion won’t add new files

Posted by John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com>.

Posted by John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.