Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Vasudeva, Rajaram" <RV...@arrakisplanet.com> on 2000/07/21 15:14:26 UTC

Re: Fw: Xalan-J performance w/ compiled stylesheets

Hi,
	I have a similar (rather same) problem with the command line XSL
processing. From the discussion on this so far I could not understand why
the XML parsing is taking more time if the XSL is already pre-compiled and
to be loaded. Am I correct in thinking that when the style sheet is
pre-compiled, it gets serialized and stored somewhere ( mem?) ??
Can someone explain to me what this really means??

Thanks,
Rajaram.

Here's the sample performance data for you :

XSL Regular
C:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\ROOT\samples\MutualFunds>java
org.apache.xalan.xslt.Pr
ocess -IN mf_performance.xml -XSL mf_performance.xsl -out out.html
=========
Parsing
file:C:/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/ROOT/samples/MutualFunds/mf_performance.xsl
==========
Parse of
file:C:/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/ROOT/samples/MutualFunds/mf_performance.
xsl took 1312 milliseconds
=========
Parsing mf_performance.xml
==========
Parse of mf_performance.xml took 375 milliseconds
=============================
Transforming...
transform took 422 milliseconds
XSLProcessor: done

XSL Pre-compiling stage
C:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\ROOT\samples\MutualFunds>java
org.apache.xalan.xslt.Pr
ocess -in mf_performance.xml -xsl mf_performance.xsl -lxcout foo.style -out
out.
html
=========
Parsing
file:C:/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/ROOT/samples/MutualFunds/mf_performance.xsl
==========
Parse of
file:C:/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/ROOT/samples/MutualFunds/mf_performance.
xsl took 1282 milliseconds
=========
Parsing mf_performance.xml
==========
Parse of mf_performance.xml took 360 milliseconds
=============================
Transforming...
transform took 407 milliseconds
XSLProcessor: done

Pre-compiled
C:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\ROOT\samples\MutualFunds>java
org.apache.xalan.xslt.Pr
ocess -in mf_performance.xml -lxcin foo.style -out out.html
=========
Parsing mf_performance.xml
==========
Parse of mf_performance.xml took 1078 milliseconds
=============================
Transforming...
transform took 375 milliseconds
XSLProcessor: done

==================
Notice to recipient: This communication is for the sole use of the intended
recipient of the transmission and may be privileged and confidential.  Any
use, distribution, or duplication by anyone other than the addressee is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and please delete this message from your system.  The message
is not intended as an offer or solicitation for purchase or sale of any
financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction,
unless specifically agreed otherwise.  All market prices, data and other
information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject
to change without notice.  Any comments or statements made herein do not
necessarily reflect those of Arrakis, a division of J.P. Morgan Advisory
Services, Inc., its subsidiaries or affiliates.