Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de> on 2009/08/24 15:00:40 UTC

"keep is not auto but context is"

Hi Andreas,

What does this message mean?

Regards

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

Fwd: "keep is not auto but context is"

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
Begin forwarded message:

> From: Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>
>
> On 25 Aug 2009, at 12:22, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>

>> Keeps do /not/ apply to fo:table-cell:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_table-cell
>> <snip />
>> So whatever that warning means, it is not related to tables.
>
> OK, so I guess it's just a coincidence that the warning appears only
> in table-related tests...

Must have misread the log output here. Apparently, they come from
'some' other testcase(s). I guess this will be looked into as soon as
I or anyone else feel(s) like it... If they were routed via the event-
handling system, we would at least see in which of the 480 tests it
occurs.

At any rate, this remark made we wonder why we even have a
getKeepWithPrevious() and getKeepWithNext() in TableCellLM... Just
tried relying on the superclass implementation. If the method would be
called, it should ultimately throw an IllegalStateException, since
getKeepTogetherProperty() is not implemented for BlockStackingLM.

So, I ran the jUnit tests after that change, and got no indication of
issues whatsoever, which means that those methods on TableCellLM are
actually never called at runtime. Maybe they had better be removed. I
don't see why there is a 'TODO: Fix me...' in both methods. After all,
how should we interpret keep-with-previous or keep-with-next in that
context anyway? keep-together makes sense, even though it does not
apply to table-cell.

Later

Andreas

Andreas Delmelle
mailto:andreas.delmelle.AT.telenet.be
jabber: mandreas@jabber.org
skype: adlm0608

---

Re: "keep is not auto but context is"

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 25 Aug 2009, at 12:22, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

> Keeps do /not/ apply to fo:table-cell:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_table-cell
> <snip />
> So whatever that warning means, it is not related to tables.

OK, so I guess it's just a coincidence that the warning appears only
in table-related tests... Will look into it --sometime ;-)

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2009, at 17:58, Andreas Delmelle wrote:
>
>> On 24 Aug 2009, at 15:00, Georg Datterl wrote:
>>
>>> What does this message mean?
>>
>> It's a warning message, indicating that the current keep-context is
>> set to auto, but the keep-property specified on the FO for which
>> layout/breaking is performed, has a different value.
>
> Note: AFAICT, this message mainly originates from keeps on
> table-elements for which they are not completely implemented yet.
> fo:table-cells are an example where support for keeps is lacking, but
> since it does work for fo:table-row, and fo:table-cell inherits the
> value from its ancestors...

Keeps do /not/ apply to fo:table-cell:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_table-cell

Keeps are fully implemented on all supported table elements to which
they apply, that is fo:table and fo:table-row (the fo:table-and-caption
and fo:table-caption elements are not supported at all).

Keep-together is an inherited property, so the descendant elements of
fo:table-cell to which that property applies will behave accordingly.
But the code related to table-cell has nothing special to do.

So whatever that warning means, it is not related to tables.

> At any rate, it has no noticeable effect on the output. The warning
> appears for some testcases as well, but would disappear if keeps on
> table-cells would be properly implemented.

Vincent

Re: "keep is not auto but context is"

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 24 Aug 2009, at 17:58, Andreas Delmelle wrote:

> On 24 Aug 2009, at 15:00, Georg Datterl wrote:
>
>> What does this message mean?
>
> It's a warning message, indicating that the current keep-context is
> set to auto, but the keep-property specified on the FO for which
> layout/breaking is performed, has a different value.

Note: AFAICT, this message mainly originates from keeps on table-
elements for which they are not completely implemented yet. fo:table-
cells are an example where support for keeps is lacking, but since it
does work for fo:table-row, and fo:table-cell inherits the value from
its ancestors...

At any rate, it has no noticeable effect on the output. The warning
appears for some testcases as well, but would disappear if keeps on
table-cells would be properly implemented.

Regards,

AW: "keep is not auto but context is"

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Andreas,

Nope, doesn't bother me that much, since it makes no difference.

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

On 24 Aug 2009, at 15:00, Georg Datterl wrote:

Hi Georg

> What does this message mean?

It's a warning message, indicating that the current keep-context is set to auto, but the keep-property specified on the FO for which layout/breaking is performed, has a different value.

I guess the message could probably be set to a lower level (DEBUG) if it bothers you...

Regards

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.