Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/10/24 23:13:46 UTC

Pig migration from Incubator

Dear Users and Developers,

As you all know, Pig has graduated from the Apache Incubator and is
joining Hadoop as subproject. We are in the process of migrating the
project with means several things to the users, developers, and
committers:

(1) New mailing lists.

pig-dev@incubator.apache.org will become  pig-dev@hadoop.apache.org
<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>
pig-user@incubator.apache.org <ma...@incubator.apache.org>
will become pig-user@hadoop.apache.org
pig-commits@incubator.apache.org will become
pig-commits@hadoop.apache.org

pig-private@incubator.apache.org will go away and issues that used to be
discussed there will now be discussed on private@hadoop.apache.org.

Note that the new lists will be created in the next couple of days and I
will send a separate email when this happens. There is no need to add
yourself to the new lists - all members will be automatically migrated.
Also, the emails sent to the old lists will be redirected for some
period of time but users are encouraged to start using the new lists as
soon as they become active.

(2) New SVN location
================

Pig source code will be moving from incubator svn to hadoop svn next
Monday, 10/27 2-3 pm PST. A reminder will be sent on Monday before the
migration starts. Please, make sure not to access SVN during this time
as you might not get the complete source code and your updates to the
code will be lost. Also make sure to commit any changes that can go
before the migration.

After the upgrades are done, the new code will be in Hadoop SVN. I will
update the links in the documentation to reflect that.

(3) New website location
==================

Pig website is already visible at its new location
http://hadoop.apache.org/pig/. However, we are not setup yet to make
updates at the new location. A ticket requesting the permission has been
submitted and should be resolved in the next couple of days. Till then,
I am getting help from hadoop PMC members to make the updates.

(4) Wiki stays the same
==================

The same wiki is shared by incubator and the regular projects. No
changes are required at this time.

Please, let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Olga

RE: REMINDER: Pig migration from Incubator

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi,

The svn move has been completed. The old repository no longer exists.
The new one is now under https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/pig/.

Until the website is updated, to checkout code in trunk use:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/pig/trunk; to checkout types
branch, use https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/pig/branches/types.

Also, if you have existing code checked out, you can upgrade it to the
new repository by running svn switch command. For instance, I ran the
following command to migrate my code from types branch:

/pig-apache/types>> svn switch
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/pig/branches/types

Switch works just like update. It will merge whatever changes it finds
in the repository with changes in your code.

Note, all the examples use committer url. To use a non-committer url,
just replace https with http.

Olga

RE: Pig migration from Incubator

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Pig has been integrated into Hadoop front page:
http://hadoop.apache.org/. Please start using this link as the old link
will be removed shortly.

The only remaining item for migration is creation of the new mailing
lists. Please, stay tuned for the update.

Olga

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi,