Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Ben Stover <bx...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2007/12/27 18:24:20 UTC

Is there a command line validation with Xerces for XML doc against XSD schema ?

I wonder wether there is a way to call Xerces directly from the command line in order to validate a  XML doc
against an (external) XSD schema file.

Can I do this (with either C++ or Java Xerces) ?

It seems to me that Xerces is created only for usage calls from Java/C++

If yes: where are the command line options listed?

If not: Maybe someone wrote a short and simple wrapper program which enables command line access for validations?
Does such (short !) program (for WinXP) exist ?

Thank you
Ben

Re: Is there a command line validation with Xerces for XML doc against XSD schema ?

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@mebigfatguy.com>.
Hmmm, Is this a trick question? Isn't this really just the hello world of xerces?
Something like

import org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler;
import org.xml.sax.InputSource;
import org.xml.sax.SAXException;
import org.xml.sax.SAXParseException;
import org.xml.sax.XMLReader;
import org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderFactory;

public class XV
{
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
        try
        {
            if (args.length != 2)
            {
                System.out.println("Incorrect arguments");
                System.out.println("parameters: xml-file xsd-file");
            }

            XMLReader r = XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader();
            r.setErrorHandler(new ErrorHandler()
            {

                public void error(SAXParseException arg0) throws SAXException
                {
                    System.out.println("error: " + arg0.getMessage());
                }

                public void fatalError(SAXParseException arg0)
                    throws SAXException
                {
                    throw(arg0);
                }

                public void warning(SAXParseException arg0) throws SAXException
                {
                    System.out.println("warning: " + arg0.getMessage());
                }
            });
            r.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/validation", true);
            r.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/namespaces", true);
            r.setFeature("http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/schema", true);
            r.setProperty("http://apache.org/xml/properties/schema/external-noNamespaceSchemaLocation", args[1]);

            r.parse(new InputSource(args[0]));
            System.out.println(args[0] + " was succesfully validated against schema " + args[1]);

           }
            catch (Exception e)
            {
                e.printStackTrace();
            }
    }
}

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Ben,

There are many pre-compiled samples that ship with Xerces-J which can be
used from the command line to do what you want. Take a look at the docs
[1].

Thanks.

[1] http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/samples-jaxp.html#SourceValidator

Michael Glavassevich