Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Albin Stigö <al...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/24 15:07:36 UTC

healthcare projects running on couched?

Hi,

I'm an MD and developer. I've been using couchdb for a few years for
various projects.

I always thought couchdb would be a really good fit for various
patient record systems. Especially in remote areas with spotty
connection, or perhaps no connection at all, as you could run a local
version, then physically move it and sync later.

Anyways, I haven't really come across any so if you know about any
companies / projects I would be interested to hear about them!

Thanks,
Albin

Re: healthcare projects running on couched?

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.
On Mar 24, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Albin Stigö <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I always thought couchdb would be a really good fit for various
> patient record systems. Especially in remote areas with spotty
> connection, or perhaps no connection at all, as you could run a local
> version, then physically move it and sync later.

In general, yes. But  in the US, HIPAA regulations seem to be pretty strict about the security of databases that store medical records, so one would need to ensure that the database is stored on an encrypted filesystem and the replication always runs over an SSL connection. (I remembered just in time to add “in the US”! :) I’m sure the EU has similar regulations.)

(Disclaimer: I don’t know anything first-hand about HIPAA, but I’ve talked with several developers of medical apps, especially mobile apps, who’ve shared these kinds of concerns.)

Another reason CouchDB is a good fit is that its ecosystem includes several mobile-ready implementations that can be used to sync records to/from phones and tablets. These include Couchbase Lite, PouchDB, and Cloudant’s mobile sync SDK.

—Jens

Re: healthcare projects running on couched?

Posted by Kevin Coombes <ke...@gmail.com>.
Check out 4medica. I'm not sure if they use CouchDB, but I know they are
aware of it. (My connection with them is indirect. The son of their CEO did
a summer internship with me and I had him work on a couchdb project. When I
met his father, he was perhaps more excited about the project than his son
was.)

  Kevin

Posted by Manokaran K <ma...@gmail.com>.

"Lake Tanganyika Floating Health Clinic" here: https://iilab.org/

Re: healthcare projects running on couched?

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.
On Mar 24, 2014, at 9:19 AM, אורן שני <or...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Id appreciate it if you could elaborate a little about why do you think
> couchDB is more fit for medinfo projects, comparing to SQL DB's.

The ease of data synchronization/replication, primarily. This is more robust: there’s no central point of failure, and the data can be stored near the people who need access to it. And as I just posted, there are several mobile implementations that allow the data to be stored literally in the user’s pocket where it can be accessed and updated even while offline.

Fwd: healthcare projects running on couched?

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
This is something that could be added to Couchdb weekly. Taken from the user@couchdb.apache.org

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Albin Stigö <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.

Posted by Manokaran K <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM, אורן שני <or...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How abiut couchDB's conflict resoloution mechanism vs SQL DB's using locks.
> Do you think that is a major concideration?

If you make the documents sufficiently granular, the probability of
two or more users editing the same doc at the same time is negligible
in a hospital setup. So IMO conflict resolution is not important.

Regds,
mano

Re: healthcare projects running on couched?

Posted by אורן שני <or...@gmail.com>.
How abiut couchDB's conflict resoloution mechanism vs SQL DB's using locks.
Do you think that is a major concideration?

Oren

Posted by Manokaran K <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.

Posted by Manokaran K <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have  developed an EMR with CouchDB as the backend and
node.js/express.js/backbone.js, deployed in a small hospital in southern
India (neurofoundation.in). Its a small hospital (about 100 beds) so there
was no need for clustering or replicating across dbs.

Posted by אורן שני <or...@gmail.com>.
Albin & all,

Posted by אורן שני <or...@gmail.com>.
Albin & all,

Posted by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com>.
Mobius Medical Systems, LP uses CouchDB as the backing store for
Mobius3D and MobiusFX.

http://www.mobiusmed.com/

None of the CouchDB features are particularly visible to the end user
(ie. no from-the-field replication, etc.).

Posted by Cory Zue <cz...@dimagi.com>.
CommCare's backend is built on couchdb: http://www.commcarehq.org/home/

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.