Posted to users@directory.apache.org by "Barber, Dan (Contractor)" <Da...@Polycom.com> on 2007/06/26 23:22:18 UTC

Question on extending the ApacheDS backend

All,

I've been poking around getting a feel for what might be involved with
extending the backend to support a different database. I have been asked
a question by another member of the team. Given that the server.xml file
references the various partitions as beans, is it intended that the
ApacheDS backend be extendable without actual source code modification
to ApacheDS itself? In other words, could I implement subclasses of
Partition, Partition Configuration, and whatever else might be needed,
roll them into my own jar and reference them in server.xml?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Question on extending the ApacheDS backend

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

What you are asking for is perfectly possible. ApacheDS is extensible
in all means. What you see in server.xml are all pluggable. You can
plug new partition implementations or interceptors in order to make
ApacheDS really something different...

--
Ersin Er

R.A. and Ph.D Student at the Dept. of Computer Eng. in Hacettepe University
http://www.cs.hacettepe.edu.tr

Committer and PMC Member of The Apache Directory Project
http://directory.apache.org