Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Himanshu Vashishtha <hv...@cs.ualberta.ca> on 2012/02/24 22:08:15 UTC

HBase Replication: clarification needed

Hello All,

I am looking at the replication functionality in HBase from the
perspective of failover/failback mechanisms, i.e., fail over to a
slave cluster in case the master (or primary) cluster fails, and then
reverting back to the original master when it is up.

By looking at the code, and replication page [1], I think the current
replication functionality supports replicating a healthy cluster to a
backup cluster (irrespective of any cluster size). This is not a exact
failover/failback process, but a backup and recovery tool.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

[1] http://hbase.apache.org/replication.html

Thanks,
Himanshu

Re: HBase Replication: clarification needed

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I would say that the primary function is being a "live backup" but
basically everything you do with MySQL slaves you can do with HBase
slave clusters:

 - Read-only store for colder data
 - Mining (MR or else)
 - Backup (and eventually we could add a delayed backup feature too)
 - Do Master-Master in between different sites

You could also use it as a failover, but you must plan how you want to
do the reconciliation.

J-D