Posted to user@giraph.apache.org by Arghya Kusum Das <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/30 23:11:32 UTC

Is it possible to traverse a linear list (line graph) parallely in giraph?

Hi,

I am trying to traverse a long list (a linear graph with millions of
nodes). Is it possible to take advantage of Giraph's parallel processing
for this issue?

--
Thanks and regards,
Arghya Kusum Das

Re: Is it possible to traverse a linear list (line graph) parallely in giraph?

Posted by Arghya Kusum Das <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Suppose, I want to compress a linear graph. That is, all vertices will be
collapsed to a single one.
Eg. If the input graph is like A-->B-->C-->D (4 vertices) then the output
will be ABCD (Just one vertex merging the vertices in order).

Posted by Khaled Ammar <kh...@gmail.com>.
I don't think Giraph is suitable for this task because in this case you
probably want to visit graph vertices in order which leaves no chance for
parallelization. In fact, even running a shortest path query on such graph
will not perform as good as it would in  web or social network graphs.

These are my two cents. Happy new year :)
-Khaled

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Claudio Martella <
claudio.martella@gmail.com> wrote:

> i guess it depends on the traversal :)
>
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM, Arghya Kusum Das <
> arghyakusumdas2266@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to traverse a long list (a linear graph with millions of
>> nodes). Is it possible to take advantage of Giraph's parallel processing
>> for this issue?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Arghya Kusum Das
>> (225-270-6163)
>>

> --
>    Claudio Martella

-Khaled

Re: Is it possible to traverse a linear list (line graph) parallely in giraph?

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
   Claudio Martella