Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/07 02:26:01 UTC

RealmBase Unix Script

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to get the following script to digest
a password for me using SHA:

#!/bin/sh

_CLASSPATH="$CATALINA_HOME"/server/lib/catalina.jar
_CLASSPATH="$_CLASSPATH":"$CATALINA_HOME"/common/lib/jmx.jar
_CLASSPATH="$_CLASSPATH":"$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/commons-logging-api.jar

java -classpath "$_CLASSPATH"
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase -a SHA $1

However, when I run the script, I get this:
[root@workstation profile.d]# digest.sh secret
Usage: RealmBase -a <algorithm> [-e <encoding>]
<credentials>

It seems like it wants me to specify the encoding, but
the Tomcat documentation does not say what values to
put there, and it says you only need to do this when
using Non-ASCII values for the password.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
- Ole

Re: RealmBase Unix Script

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The encoding parameter is optional.

If I use the digest.sh script on Fedora Core 3 all works as expected.
FWIW digest.bat also works on XP SP2.

I suggest using the pre-written scripts.

Mark