Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Hans Gerwitz <ja...@phobia.com> on 2000/07/07 17:04:43 UTC

Documentation bug :-)

Now that I've finished making a fool of myself posting to the wrong list...

In users_guide.html, section 3.3.0, the first JSP form element example does
not use HTML entities to represent the < and > of all of the tags, making
the tag look very simple, while the intention is to show how confusing it
is!  At least in IE5/Mac.

While I'm posting here, Struts is remarkably similar to our
internally-developed framework, with some notable design differences,
particularly in form handling.  Is this an appropriate forum to discuss
these issue (read: pick Craig's brain)... and in any event, are there any
more suitable forums?  Most of my gems of wisdom have been gathered from the
early days of various support lists (JServ, GNUJSP, Tomcat), which seems a
shame.

Thanks!
---
Hans Gerwitz
java@phobia.com

Re: Documentation bug :-)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Hans Gerwitz wrote:

> Now that I've finished making a fool of myself posting to the wrong list...
>
> In users_guide.html, section 3.3.0, the first JSP form element example does
> not use HTML entities to represent the < and > of all of the tags, making
> the tag look very simple, while the intention is to show how confusing it
> is!  At least in IE5/Mac.

Thanks ... this will be fixed tonight.

> While I'm posting here, Struts is remarkably similar to our
> internally-developed framework, with some notable design differences,
> particularly in form handling.  Is this an appropriate forum to discuss
> these issue (read: pick Craig's brain)... and in any event, are there any
> more suitable forums?  Most of my gems of wisdom have been gathered from the
> early days of various support lists (JServ, GNUJSP, Tomcat), which seems a
> shame.

The STRUTS-DEV list is designed for discussing "things I would like to
see added
or changed about Struts", while this list (STRUTS-USER) is better for
"how does
it work" and "why does it work that way" sorts of questions.  In truth,
I'm sure
there is a substantial overlap in readership as well.

There have also been a substantial number of discussions about
architectures
like Struts on the JSP-INTEREST@JAVA.SUN.COM mailing list, mostly under
keywords
"Model 2" or "MVC".  The archives of this list are available at
<http://archives.java.sun.com>.

> Thanks!
> ---
> Hans Gerwitz