Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stefano <st...@antartide.org> on 2002/12/05 11:10:35 UTC

segfault after HTTP_MOVED_* and set_handlers()

Hello,

This is a  question about the correct use of set_handlers request
method.

I have some handlers stacked by the first one content handler;
one of them processing the request needs to redirect and then close
the HTTP response with a HTTP_MOVED_PERMANENTLY;

so I thought that the following stacked handlers have to be removed
from the stack with a $r->set_handlers('PerlHandler' => undef) in a way
such:

	$r->content_type('text/html') ;
	$r->header_out('Location', '/go/there') ;
	$r->set_handlers('PerlHandler' => undef) ;
	return HTTP_MOVED_PERMANENTLY ;

What I see is a couple of side effects:

 - Apache exit correctly, but the following request it serves arises a
   segfault at an unpredictable execution point
 - Apache faults immediately, child dies

I've traced childs with strace and Apache::DB and using the latter one
childs segfault also trying to print a value from the debugging shell:

  <DB > p $var

So I removed all the undefining calls and everithing returns to work.

Does that mess up the apache child pool used by mod_perl ?

What I'm asking is
 a) when is a good idea use set_handlers(PerlHandler => undef)
 b) is the segfault I've obtained a bug in mod_perl ?

Thanks,
Stefano di Sandro