Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/18 17:19:31 UTC

Beginner questions

Hi,

Just trying to get started on OfBiz.  First impression: not much
documentation to go on.

I was able to get the vanilla OfBiz running, but:

1) I can't get to it via a domain name.  I can get to it on the intranet,
via the intranet IP address:
http://<local-ip>:8080/ecommerce<http://%3clocal-ip%3e:8080/ecommerce>
(also
using "localhost" instead of <local-ip>).  I can get to it externally via my
router's WAN IP address:
http://<wan-ip>:8080/ecommerce<http://%3cwan-ip%3e:8080/ecommerce>.
But, I can't get to it via www.mydomain.com.

I made sure there are no firewalls blocking this.  I opened up TCP ports 80,
8080, and the https port on my router.

Can anyone help with this, please?

2) I purchased Ms.Hoffman's catalog book, but it refers to oFBiz 4.  I
downloaded oFBiz 9 (current), and in it, there is no place to change the
logo on a store (whereas it was clearly available in OfBiz 4) (!).  Why
would this be removed?   So I proceeded to overwrite the ofbizLogo.gif with
one of my own, and I can see that it replaced the ofbiz logo, but it is not
showing properly.  Is there some resolution requirements on the logo or any
other image displayed on the web page?

Thanks,
Goran

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Goran:
Can't help much with the domain issue except to ask if you ever had
anything working using that domain name? Because the DNS translation is
transparent. It sounds like there may be a DNS issue.

As for the logo bit, sorry but I tried to fight that battle already. No
committer saw fit to put this back in place. IMO, it is a bug and
regression and should have been fixed a long time ago.

Thanks for pointing that out! Maybe someone will look at it again.

Regards,
Ruth
Find me on the web at http://www.myofbiz.com or Google keyword "myofbiz"
ruth.hoffman@myofbiz.com

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.
Jacopo,

First of all, thank you very much, it worked! (and I am officially
embarrassed for not thinking to try it, although I did try other variations
of it).

But more importantly, I have to say: *seriously?*  Surely I can't expect my
customers to type that???  The same way that I don't have to type
www.amazon.com:8080/ecommerce/control/main.

In other words, how do I simplify the url so that my customers only have to
type www.mydomain.com?

Thanks very much in advance,
Goran

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Goran,

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Vivek Mishra <vi...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Ruth, Goran,

I do agree with you but my main concern was to answer Goran's this line
which gives me an impression that he is a developer/programmer.

Just trying to get started on OfBiz.  First impression: not much
documentation to go on.

Not much but enough documentation to at least get start on this
including a beginner level practice application to handling business
processes.

Thanks!
-- Vivek Mishra

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.
Vivek,

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Vivek:
With all due respect, why?
You don't need to be a programmer/developer to use OFBiz.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Vivek Mishra <vi...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Goran,

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Scot,

I don't this will change the port of Tomcat server. You will need to
change the port settings in ofbiz-container.xml. I think this file is
used to add the right port to the generated URLs.

Thanks

Raj

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.
Ruth,

I got it to display finally.  It is possible that I just wasn't refreshing
the web page properly [blush].

But I really want to widen that left ecom-header, so that the logo becomes
more legible.

Somehow just widening the ecom_header #left width and the ecom-header
#middle margin-left accordingly in ecommain.css doesn't do the trick.  So I
have to figure out if this needs recompiling or what else needs changing.

But, definite progress.  And, I got a CSS book from the library. :-)

Thanks again,
Goran

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Goran:

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Goran:

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.
Ruth,

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Goran:

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On 18/02/2010, at 6:57 PM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:

> Scott Gray wrote:
>> Hi Ruth,
>>
>> I think we're talking about different things here, Goran has successfully changed the image (admittedly using less than ideal means) but the problem is that the css isn't accommodating his image size in the way that he would like
> Actually, the CM version worked a little better. It was easier to see when an image didn't fit in properly.

Regardless, if you don't know some css basics your site isn't going to look anything close to what it could if you did.

>> Regarding the image selection, as discussed previously the image is changeable via the theme, problem is that no one has built a UI for configuring themes as yet.  I understand your frustration but there isn't really anything I can do about it.
>>

> All the more reason it should never have been removed from the CM.

Why, because I can't do anything about it?  That's hardly a reason for anything and since I didn't remove it I'm not really sure why we're having this discussion.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Ruth,

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Thu, 2/18/10, Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com> wrote:
> Since you brought this topic up: As for the Webapp themes,
> I really like the round over page wrap stuff, but if you or
> anyone else used the Webtools as much as I do and switched
> back and forth all the time between applications, I think
> you will quickly find that without the navigation tabs
> clearly visible (as they are on the flat grey theme), life
> with OFBiz is very painful. I've tried them all and I still
> visible all the time.

True, some people like having the tabs visible all the time. One of the drawbacks is they take up screen space when you're not using them. So, it's a matter of personal preference - which is one of the reasons the visual themes were developed. Pick a theme that suits you and make it your default. Just because a particular theme doesn't match your preferences, that doesn't mean there is something wrong with it.

-Adrian

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
lol :-)

I'll get right on it!

Ruth

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.

David E Jones wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:
>

>> IMO...
>>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>
>>> The target for the ecommerce templates is not to be used completely as-is, it is meant to be inclusive because it is easier to disable things and comment them out than it is to dig up details to add things in. For the visual L&F you need to know some basic CSS in order to modify the CSS file. Is that really too much to ask?
>>>

>> Yes. Maybe the new user is a Java developer and not CSS knowledgeable. Not to say they can't become knowledgeable, but why make it harder than it has to be. This worked before. IMO, it was left out of 9.04 as an oversight and not for any technical reason. Therefore, it is a regression introduced when someone changed the UI  without first understanding what was there before the change was made.
>>

> I'm not sure where you got this impression. If you have something to site about it, please do.
>
> The reality is that this was an intentional change as part of the theme functionality in the ecommerce app, which greatly increases the configurability and flexibility of the templates. Maybe you should look into them...

Really? Which templates are now more flexible and configurable? And, why
does the Freemarker header file still look for Catalog logo overrides?

BTW, I've looked at the themes. They don't do much for the ecommerce demo.

Since you brought this topic up: As for the Webapp themes, I really like
the round over page wrap stuff, but if you or anyone else used the
Webtools as much as I do and switched back and forth all the time
between applications, I think you will quickly find that without the
navigation tabs clearly visible (as they are on the flat grey theme),
life with OFBiz is very painful. I've tried them all and I still go back
to flat grey because the navigation tabs are clearly visible all the time.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
CM = Catalog Manager.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
IMO...

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Scott:

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.
Scott,

Thanks for the pointer, I'll look into it tomorrow.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, as long as I know where to look.  And
once I have read more of the OFBiz documentation, hopefully I will.

Best Regards,
Goran

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi BJ:
Thank you for weighting in on this.

I agree with you in principal. IMO, it doesn't matter if this is in the
Catalog Manager or in the Content Manager, my point is that it should
not be a task performed by the user changing files in the file system.
With the 9.04 "theme" improvement, the only way a user can change this
logo is by manipulating files directly in the file system.

Regards,
Ruth

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
script to put in build to create a new theme folder.
hope that helps

Ruth Hoffman sent the following on 2/19/2010 5:42 AM:

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.
Yey! It worked.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.
Scott,

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by Goran Janevski <go...@gmail.com>.
David,

I am happy to help out the project.  Let me first say that the comment I
made on lack of documentation should have been qualified to say "relative to
the OsCommerce project", because that is the other open source solution
which I considered.  So my apologies.  And it's probably not a fair
comparison;  OsCommerce has been around since 2000 I think.

 But of course OFBiz is so much more than just an eCommerce store, which is
why I want to use it.

I actually started by looking at what books are available [I generally
prefer books, because all the info is in one place]. I went to ofbiz.org,
and  I found the Apache OFBiz Development: The Beginner's Tutorial
.<http://www.packtpub.com/apache-ofbiz-development-beginners-tutorial/book>
", but that is for developers [I may still end up going through that one].

I also saw Ruth's two books, both the catalog book, may also buy the other
one.

But that is it.  That is the grand sum total of books on OFBiz.

Then I looked at the "Apache OFBiz Getting Started " on ofbiz.org.

In there, I could see several items that I would find useful: End-User
Documentation, Technical Training Videos, Configuration Documents,
specifically the Apache OFBiz Business Setup Guide (for users), etc. [but
the link to the technical training videos is broken, and there isn't even a
FAQ - it came back empty].

Before all that, I just wanted to see my basic web site, with my domain
name, the name of the business and the logo on it, because it was so easy to
get the demo store up and running, and customize the theme and company name.
  However getting rid of ports and the other stuff from the domain name,
would have been hard without people's help on this mailing list.  Is that
documented anywhere?

Now if I am going the wrong way about reading the documentation and not
looking in the right places, please let me know.

But in general I would say that if OFBiz is to be successful, there needs to
be more business-owner oriented documentation.  And as I go along with this
process, I will take notes, and be happy to pass them on to you in the end,
with suggestions what would have worked for me.

Regards,
Goran

Re: Beginner questions

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.