Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rahul Goswami <ra...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/20 18:35:16 UTC

Solr filter cache hits not reflecting

Hello,

I was trying to analyze the filter cache performance and noticed a strange
thing. Upon searching with fq, the entry gets added to the cache the first
time. Observing from the "Stats/Plugins" tab on Solr admin UI, the 'lookup'
and 'inserts' count gets incremented.
However, if I search with the same fq again, I expect the lookup and hits
count to increase, but it doesn't. This ultimately results in an incorrect
hitratio.
I tried this scenario on Solr 7.2.1, 7.7.2 and 8.5 and observe the same
behavior on all three versions.

Is this a bug or am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Rahul

Re: Solr filter cache hits not reflecting

Posted by Rahul Goswami <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hoss,
Thank you for such a succinct explanation! I was not aware of the order of
lookups (queryResultCache  followed by filterCache). Makes sense now. Sorry
for the false alarm!

Rahul

Posted by Rahul Goswami <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hoss,

Thanks for your detailed response. In your steps if you go a step
further and search again with the same fq, you should be able to
uncover the problem. Here are the step-by-step observations on Solr
8.5 (7.2.1 and 7.7.2 have the same issue)

1) Before any queries:

http://localhost:8984/solr/admin/metrics?group=core&prefix=CACHE.searcher.filterCache

   "solr.core.techproducts":{
      "CACHE.searcher.filterCache":{
        "lookups":0,
        "idleEvictions":0,
        "evictions":0,
        "cumulative_inserts":0,
        "ramBytesUsed":1328,
        "cumulative_hits":0,
        "cumulative_idleEvictions":0,
        "hits":0,
        "cumulative_evictions":0,
        "cleanupThread":false,
        "size":0,
        "hitratio":0.0,
        "cumulative_lookups":0,
        "cumulative_hitratio":0.0,
        "warmupTime":0,
        "maxRamMB":-1,
        "inserts":0}},

2) With fq:manu:samsung OR manu:apple

http://localhost:8984/solr/techproducts/select?q=*:*&fq=manu:samsung%20OR%20manu:apple

    "solr.core.techproducts":{
      "CACHE.searcher.filterCache":{
        "lookups":1,
        "idleEvictions":0,
        "evictions":0,
        "cumulative_inserts":1,
        "ramBytesUsed":4800,
        "cumulative_hits":0,
        "cumulative_idleEvictions":0,
        "hits":0,
        "cumulative_evictions":0,
        "cleanupThread":false,
        "size":1,
        "hitratio":0.0,
        "cumulative_lookups":1,
        "cumulative_hitratio":0.0,
        "item_manu:samsung
manu:apple":"SortedIntDocSet{size=2,ramUsed=40 bytes}",
        "warmupTime":0,
        "maxRamMB":-1,
        "inserts":1}},

3) q changed but same fq... the hits and lookups are updated as expected:
http://localhost:8984/solr/techproducts/select?q=popularity:[5%20TO%2012]&fq=manu:samsung%20OR%20manu:apple

   "solr.core.techproducts":{
      "CACHE.searcher.filterCache":{
        "lookups":2,
        "idleEvictions":0,
        "evictions":0,
        "cumulative_inserts":1,
        "ramBytesUsed":4800,
        "cumulative_hits":1,
        "cumulative_idleEvictions":0,
        "hits":1,
        "cumulative_evictions":0,
        "cleanupThread":false,
        "size":1,
        "hitratio":0.5,
        "cumulative_lookups":2,
        "cumulative_hitratio":0.5,
        "item_manu:samsung
manu:apple":"SortedIntDocSet{size=2,ramUsed=40 bytes}",
        "warmupTime":0,
        "maxRamMB":-1,
        "inserts":1}},

4) A query with different fq.
http://localhost:8984/solr/techproducts/select?q=popularity:[5%20TO%2012]&fq=manu:samsung

    "solr.core.techproducts":{
      "CACHE.searcher.filterCache":{
        "lookups":3,
        "idleEvictions":0,
        "evictions":0,
        "cumulative_inserts":2,
        "ramBytesUsed":6076,
        "cumulative_hits":1,
        "cumulative_idleEvictions":0,
        "hits":1,
        "cumulative_evictions":0,
        "cleanupThread":false,
        "size":2,
        "item_manu:samsung":"SortedIntDocSet{size=1,ramUsed=36 bytes}",
        "hitratio":0.33,
        "cumulative_lookups":3,
        "cumulative_hitratio":0.33,
[...]

        "inserts":2}},