Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by "HARRIOTT, John" <jo...@baesystems.com> on 2017/04/10 02:50:49 UTC

Logging changes to workflow

Is it possible to log changes to a workflow so they can be captured by a central logging/auditing capability e.g. syslog.

This will allow security auditors to detect changes to a systems configuration e.g. addition/removal/modification of a processor(s).

Thanks

This email has been sent on behalf of one of the following companies within the BAE Systems Australia group of companies:

    BAE Systems Australia Limited - Australian Company Number 008 423 005
    BAE Systems Australia Defence Pty Limited - Australian Company Number 006 870 846
    BAE Systems Australia Logistics Pty Limited - Australian Company Number 086 228 864

Our registered office is Evans Building, Taranaki Road, Edinburgh Parks,
Edinburgh, South Australia, 5111. If the identity of the sending company is
not clear from the content of this email please contact the sender.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy or
disclose its content, but please reply to this email immediately and highlight
the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message.

Re: Logging changes to workflow

Posted by Toivo Adams <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It seems such a reporting task is not yet implemented.

I wonder if you need only output to syslog, can’t this be configured adding
*SyslogAppender* to logback.xml configuration?

And maybe new Logger is also needed in logback.xml?

Which might be Logger name?

Thanks

Toivo

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
John

The code i referenced in the previous note on this thread points to
the API support for connecting a reporting task to the audit data.
This will give you more stable/reliable information than having a
Logger send the data via syslog/etc..  However, there is no
ReportingTask that I am aware of available in the Apache NiFi codebase
that leverages that function so for now you'd want to write a custom
one with Java or with the scripted reporting task support.

Thanks
Joe

Posted by "HARRIOTT, John" <jo...@baesystems.com>.
Hi Joe,

What is meant by the following statement: "From that one can access the list of changes from a given offset onward."
ReportingTask.java is an interface class. That does mean there exists a class specifically for reporting configuration changes?

Regards John

I don't know if there is a reporting task which leverages this yet but the key classes to notice are here:
 ReportingTask [1]
 EventAccess [2]

From that one can access the list of changes from a given offset onward.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Juan,

They were introduced in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-986

I don't know if there is a reporting task which leverages this yet but
the key classes to notice are here:
 ReportingTask [1]
 EventAccess [2]

From that one can access the list of changes from a given offset onward.