Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Stephane Rainville <st...@hotmail.com> on 2008/07/14 23:52:58 UTC

TCP Sampler questions

Hi,

I'm trying to test a socket based server and I'm having a weird behaviour with the TCP Sampler.

1-How can you know you get errors or timeout?
Even if I have timeouts the "Aggregate Report" always says 0% error.

The only way I can see if i did not get replies id to use the "Save Reponses to a file" and manually count the number of files that are above 0 KiloBytes. If I set a very High timeout value I get my return values but I think it defeats the purpos of stressing the server and measuring failures.

Which brings me to question 2 that is not documented on the Jmeter help.

2- If I uncheck "re-use" connection all my responses files are ok. If i check it almost 70% of responses files are empty.
Comment?

How do you use the TCP sampler?

Thanks

Stéphane

Re: TCP Sampler questions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16/07/2008, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/07/2008, Stephane Rainville <st...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  Hi,
>  >
>  >  I'm trying to test a socket based server and I'm having a weird behaviour with the TCP Sampler.
>  >
>  >  1-How can you know you get errors or timeout?
>  >  Even if I have timeouts the "Aggregate Report" always says 0% error.
>  >

> The sample implementation that is supplied is fairly basic, and does
>  not report timeout errors. Nor does it report write errors.
>

>  >  The only way I can see if i did not get replies id to use the "Save Reponses to a file" and manually count the number of files that are above 0 KiloBytes. If I set a very High timeout value I get my return values but I think it defeats the purpos of stressing the server and measuring failures.
>

> Or you can add a Response Assertion to check for > 0 bytes.

Or check for the time the sample takes using a Duration Assertion.

Re: TCP Sampler questions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.