Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Patrik Rak <pa...@mindwarestudios.com> on 2006/02/08 09:05:27 UTC

Missing --dry-run?

Hi!

Any reason why --dry-run is implemented only for merge, but not for update
and switch? I could really use it with switch, to make sure I got the URL
right and I won't screw up my working copy...

Thanks,

Patrik Rak

Re: Missing --dry-run?

Posted by Patrik Rak <pa...@mindwarestudios.com>.
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:

> Patrik Rak wrote:
>
>> Any reason why --dry-run is implemented only for merge, but not for
>> update and switch? I could really use it with switch, to make sure I got
>> the URL right and I won't screw up my working copy...
>
> Yes, that definitely is a good idea!
> As long as update is concerned, `svn status -u` is a be a good equivalent,
> IMHO. What do you think?

Definitely. I do not need it for update at all, I just mentioned that
one for completness, as it might logically belong there as well.

Patrik

Re: Missing --dry-run?

Posted by Kalin KOZHUHAROV <ka...@thinrope.net>.
Patrik Rak wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Any reason why --dry-run is implemented only for merge, but not for
> update and switch? I could really use it with switch, to make sure I got
> the URL right and I won't screw up my working copy...

Yes, that definitely is a good idea!
As long as update is concerned, `svn status -u` is a be a good equivalent,
IMHO. What do you think?

Just today I had a very difficult merge (/me as a wed designer gone wild!)
followed by a "difficult" switch that I got wrong - I was off-by-one dir, so
that screwed my working dir (5K+ files) after pressing Ctrl+C. A clean
checkout fixed the matter in some minutes. Good that was not the live server
(I rsync later, _after_ checking the exit code of `svn up`).
So, yes a --dry-run would be much appreciated for some weired cases.

Just my 2 yen.

Kalin.
--
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+