Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2008/07/03 19:55:31 UTC

Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

This might be me, but a native Erlang API would be nice.
For the simple reason to attract Erlang developers for the
project. They don't want to go through HTTP and they have
systems in place that are at a scale that we can only dream
of having available for testing. So we better give them what
they want. We might want to consider making a native Erlang
API and put the HTTP API on top of that to ensure feature
parity. This is, however one more level of indirection for the
folks that use the HTTP API which might be the majority of
users. Replication I think, should still go through HTTP, at
least initially.

There is another reason beside testing to get more Erlang
developers to look at the code. The ASF Incubator is about
growing a (developer-) community around a project. So far,
we are still the four original developers which might suggest
that we better look for more support from within the Erlang
community (which I personally find to be nice and supportive)
to ensure that we can graduate from the Incubator.

I hope you agree with me.

Cheers
Jan

Re: Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Jul 4, 2008, at 15:43 , Kevin Jackson wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> More developers would be excellent, though it's still very early
>>> days. :)
>
> I'm a budding Erlang developer (although my apache interest is with
> Ant), and I'd be interested in helping out.  At the moment I have very
> little time (even for working on Ant :( ), but I do have a few Erlang
> projects under my belt and I know the language well enough to start
> contributing - my only problem is time commitment.
>
> Is there an area of the code base which a n00b could get acquainted
> with with minimal fuss/effort?

I could have sworn I answered this, but my records don't show that.

The best place to jump into CouchDB is couch_http.erl. It defines
CouchDB's public API and contains the code that you are most
likely to be familiar with from the outside. Most other things are
called from there.

May I point you to the "HTTP and daemon plugin architecture"
thread for more details on what we could use? :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>> More developers would be excellent, though it's still very early days. :)

I'm a budding Erlang developer (although my apache interest is with
Ant), and I'd be interested in helping out.  At the moment I have very
little time (even for working on Ant :( ), but I do have a few Erlang
projects under my belt and I know the language well enough to start
contributing - my only problem is time commitment.

Is there an area of the code base which a n00b could get acquainted
with with minimal fuss/effort?

Kev

Re: Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Jul 3, 2008, at 20:23, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 07:55:31PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> This might be me, but a native Erlang API would be nice.
>> For the simple reason to attract Erlang developers for the
>> project.
>
> We talked about this before, I think.
>
> Didn't we decide that it was overly complex with little ROI?

We might have misjudged the R regarding getting Erlang
developers on board back then. We might have not, though.

>> There is another reason beside testing to get more Erlang
>> developers to look
>> at the code. The ASF Incubator is about growing a (developer-)
>> community
>> around a project. So far, we are still the four original developers
>> which
>> might suggest that we better look for more support from within the
>> Erlang
>> community (which I personally find to be nice and supportive) to
>> ensure that
>> we can graduate from the Incubator.
>
> More developers would be excellent, though it's still very early
> days. :)

I don't have the feeling that this is 'very early' and I don't know why
that would be a reason not to attract more developers? :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 07:55:31PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> This might be me, but a native Erlang API would be nice.
> For the simple reason to attract Erlang developers for the
> project.

We talked about this before, I think.

Didn't we decide that it was overly complex with little ROI?

> There is another reason beside testing to get more Erlang developers to look
> at the code. The ASF Incubator is about growing a (developer-) community
> around a project. So far, we are still the four original developers which
> might suggest that we better look for more support from within the Erlang
> community (which I personally find to be nice and supportive) to ensure that
> we can graduate from the Incubator.

More developers would be excellent, though it's still very early days. :)

Best,

--
Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/

Re: Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@grabb.it>.
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>  We might want to consider making a native Erlang
> API and put the HTTP API on top of that to ensure feature
> parity. This is, however one more level of indirection for the
> folks that use the HTTP API which might be the majority of
> users.

Could we build the native Erlang API as a wrapper on top of the HTTP
API? Not as an Erlang client library that uses HTTP transport, but as
a set of exposed hooks into couch_httpd, maybe with friendly names?
This might be a good way that neither API falls behind.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

Posted by José Manuel Peña <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Saludos,

José Manuel Peña

Re: Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Jul 3, 2008, at 18:55 , Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> This might be me, but a native Erlang API would be nice.

Looks like we are getting this with Damien's proposed
refactoring of the internals. Woohoo!

[Thread Closed]

Cheers
Jan