Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2004/01/02 23:38:19 UTC

happy new year! -- s/2003/2004/

a nice TODO: update all copyright statements to recognize we're now
living in the brand-new 2004. Any takers?

cheers!

- Leo

PS: this was so easy when we still used ant's <filter/> :/

Re: happy new year! -- s/2003/2004/

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 03 January 2004 08:13, Alexis Agahi wrote:
> And here is my 2004 early contribution:
> find . -name '*.java' -print | xargs perl -pi -e 's/2003/2004/g'

Slightly dangerous.

The Copyright law doesn't require us to change the date other than when we
"make new Copyrighted additions/changes" the file. In fact, the part of the
source file that is not changed will have its Copyright "start date" to its
original creation date, and additions are copyrighted to their creation
dates.

SO, Marking Startable.java with "Copyright .... 2004" doesn't move the "end of
copyright" further into the future. And I think it is a violation to make
such claim (IANAL) and to be absolutely correct, one should say;

Copyright Apache Software Foundation, 2001-2004  All Rights Reserved.

(provided the file was initially created in 2001). (MS Windows is copyrighted
something like 1981-2001, because it still contains DOS 1.1 stuff inside.
Disney is also fighting with their teeth to get Mickey Mouse re-protected,
since the original MM is apparently now in the public domain (75years).)

Niclas

Re: happy new year! -- s/2003/2004/

Posted by Alexis Agahi <al...@users.sf.net>.
On Saturday 03 January 2004 01:11, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > a nice TODO: update all copyright statements to recognize we're now
> > living in the brand-new 2004. Any takers?
> Go for it Leo!
> Cheers, Steve.

Happy new year everybody!

And here is my 2004 early contribution:
find . -name '*.java' -print | xargs perl -pi -e 's/2003/2004/g'

Regards

Re: happy new year! -- s/2003/2004/

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: happy new year! -- s/2003/2004/

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 03 January 2004 22:31, Leo Simons wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 January 2004 20:55, Leo Simons wrote:
> >>Also note it is not *that* important to get this right. Copyrights lasts
> >>longer than avalon is likely to (or for that matter, java itself).

> In 75 years, the world of computing will have improved so far that the
> avalon concepts have either been integrated into a radical new language
> platform or have become obsoleted by as of yet unknown concepts. The
> same, of course, holds for java itself.

> BTW, I believe copyrights last 50 years in the US.

I believe not, and the whole Disney hoo-ha is over the fact that Mickey Mouse
has just turned 75years and should be public domain. (See what happen if you
try to use him though....)

<pessimism>
There was this COBOL programmer, Jack, back in 1997 who got so sick and tired
of wading through old legacy code to fix Y2K problems that he went to a
cryogenic institute, explained he situation and asked;
- So, I would like to be frozen, and then brought back to life after year
2000. Is that possible?
- Sure, no problem...

The procedure went ahead, and from Jack's perspective, he was put asleep and
what felt to him a second later, he was wide awake but very wet. Also, the
room had changed significantly, a lot of instruments around that he couldn't
figure what they were.

-  He asked one of the staff... So it is after year 2000 now??
-  Yes it is !
-  Thank God. So what year is it? I can see from all this equipment that it
must be quite some time into the future.
-  Well...  We saw your CV and that you are a pretty good Cobol programmer, so
we decided to keep you around a bit longer, just in case something came up
that we would need your help for. But that never happened ....  until now.
Jack, You see we now have this Y10K problem coming up.... Jack, Jack, JACK!!!
</pessimism>

Niclas

Re: happy new year! -- s/2003/2004/

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2004 20:55, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>Also note it is not *that* important to get this right. Copyrights lasts
>>longer than avalon is likely to (or for that matter, java itself).
>
> Leo the Pessimist :o)

No way, dude! Leo the Optimist!

In 75 years, the world of computing will have improved so far that the
avalon concepts have either been integrated into a radical new language
platform or have become obsoleted by as of yet unknown concepts. The
same, of course, holds for java itself.

BTW, I believe copyrights last 50 years in the US.

- LSD

Re: happy new year! -- s/2003/2004/

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 03 January 2004 20:55, Leo Simons wrote:
> Also note it is not *that* important to get this right. Copyrights lasts
> longer than avalon is likely to (or for that matter, java itself).

Leo the Pessimist :o)

75years ain't that long, but you and I don't have to worry about it ...

Niclas

Re: happy new year! -- s/2003/2004/

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> a nice TODO: update all copyright statements to recognize we're now
> living in the brand-new 2004. Any takers?

actually, it was just brought to my attention that only when a file is
changed should the copyright date be updated. So this is a general
reminder to update copyright dates when you commit a file.