Posted to users@ws.apache.org by "Lin, Yaxiong" <li...@mayo.edu> on 2002/03/12 19:50:31 UTC

Question on keepAlive attribute

I noticed that keepAlive can be set on both client and server side.  The
WebServer also gets the keepAlive from the xml packet received from the
client and sets the keepAlive accordingly for the connection.

I was wondering if anyone has any thought on whether keepAlive should be set
on client side only, server side only or both and if both who wins?  I am
not familiar with xmlrpc spec, so don't know if this is already specified in
the xmlrpc spec.

Thanks.

- Yaxiong

Re: Question on keepAlive attribute

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Lin, Yaxiong" <li...@mayo.edu> writes:

> I noticed that keepAlive can be set on both client and server side.  The
> WebServer also gets the keepAlive from the xml packet received from the
> client and sets the keepAlive accordingly for the connection.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any thought on whether keepAlive should be set
> on client side only, server side only or both and if both who wins?  I am
> not familiar with xmlrpc spec, so don't know if this is already specified in
> the xmlrpc spec.

It should really be set on the client-side only, as the WebServer's
hanlding of the "Connection: Keep-Alive" header should be determined
by the HTTP version and Connection type supported by the client.

Re: Question on keepAlive attribute

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.