Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Mi...@telekurs.de on 2004/01/13 09:57:46 UTC

Re: German Translation mod_speling

> <name>mod_speling</name>
> <description>Versucht, vom Benutzer m&ouml;glicherweise falsch
eingegebene URLs
> zu korrigieren.</description>

the English original additionally states that one spelling
error will be tolerated, so:

", wobei maximal ein Schreibfehler toleriert werden kann."

> Es wird eine Liste mit allen Dokumentbezeichnungen erstellt,
> die mit Hilfe dieses Verfahrens verglichen werden.</p>

This list only contains "matching" documents, thus:
"...die gemäß dieser Strategie als 'passend' angesehen wurden."

> <li>kein passendes Dokument gefunden, f&auml;hrt der Server normal
> fort und gibt den Fehler <code>Dokument not found</code>
zur&uuml;ck.</li>

Either translate the whole 'error' or nothing, but not just a
part of it.

### ORGINAL ###
(I would prefer the English version to somehow reference "HTTP
404" here which would then be language independent and easier
to translate.)

> &uuml;bereinstimmt, wird es in Form einer Umleitungsantwort

I cannot remember having read "Umleitungsantwort" in any other
Apache documentation before. (Even Google finds only three hits
for this word, one of which is your document.)

I think this should be a technical term (HTTP redirection) and
either not be translated at all or be (used and) translated
identically in all documents.

> <description>Aktiviert die Rechtsschreibpr&uuml;fung</description>

What about the word "module" in this line?

> allerdings nur mit einer eingeschr&auml;nkten &Uuml;berpr&uuml;fung
> der Gro&szlig;- und Kleinschreibung.

Quite the opposite: "war jedoch auf eine Überprüfung der Groß-
bzw. Kleinschreibung beschränkt." (Uppercase/lowercase checking
is easy, just convert everything to one type and then do a string
comparison; handling insertions and the like is much more tricky,
thus it had not been implemented in the earlier version.)

> wenn gleichzeitig Korrekturen durchgef&uuml;hrt werden m&uuml;ssen.</li>

More literally: "wenn _viele_ Korrekturen gleichzeitig durchgeführt
werden müssen."

> <li>Die Verzeichnisse sollten keine sensiblen Daten enthalten,

Literally: "Daten" => "Dateien".

### ORGINAL ###
(This is about "security by obscurity", if these files were then
actually accessible without further control.
So the original version might rather have said that not even the
file names (!) should contain sensitive data, as the file content
might be subject to additional access control but the visibility
of the file name is not, in this case, and preventing directory
browsing as "protection" mechanism would fail in this case.
Your German translation already hints in this direction but it is
not the same as the original version because of that.)

> f&auml;lschlicherweise als negierte Datei <code>/stats.html</code>
> behandelt werden kann.</li>

"negotiation" is not the same as "negation".

Thus: "als negierte" => "als die als Ergebnis einer Verhandlung
ermittelte".
(Actually, the nature of mod_speling is not that different from
mod_negotiation's, but this line is the only hint about that.)

### ORGINAL ###
As for the last example, I am not sure whether this would really
happen this way.
I did not read anything about ignoring file name extension by
mod_speling which would be necessary to make that type of "mapping"
because applying the rules loosely described above "/status" would
match "/stats" but not "/stats.html", and mod_speling being the last
in line to interpret the URL rules out that a conventional negotia-
tion might take place after the "correction".
So either I overlooked something, or the "mapping" rules are more
refined than this document describes, or the example might be wrong.

Regards, Michael