Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dan Untenzu <un...@webit.de> on 2018/08/28 08:59:49 UTC

Solr LTS and EOL

Hey,

I would like to get some feedback about LTS & EOL timeframes in Solr.

The Solr website states that "6.4.x" is a LTS version and "7.x" is the
current mayor version (https://lucene.apache.org/solr/community.html).

Question 1: Shouldn't it use "6.x", since version 6.6.5 is the latest
release of the 6 branch.

Question 2: How long is the LTS timeframe - 6 / 12 / 36 months? When is
EOL of version 6.x?

It would be nice to have some roadmap/timeframe on the download or
community page. Right now an admin can not tell whether they should
prefer the LTS over the mayor version, because maybe EOL of version 6 is
just next week.

Dan

--
Dan Untenzu
Certified TYPO3 Integrator

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
USt-ID DE 193477690
Geschäftsführer Sven Haubold

Re: Solr LTS and EOL

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Although I wrote that paragraph in the community page, it was never the intention to give the impression of a formal LTS system, more meant as an analogy to easier understand the release policy for that branch. So we should probably avoid the term LTS altogether. What about LTP "Long Term Patching", avoiding the word "Support" :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: Solr LTS and EOL