Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu> on 2011/07/28 14:47:24 UTC

Stop this infighting [was: Re: svn commit: r1151195 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk: src/java/org/apache/fop/fonts/truetype/TTFSubSetFile.java status.xml]

Stop this infighting, please. We all have our strong and weak points.
Stop attacking each other on real or perceived weak points. Cooperate
with each other and complement each other in a positive atmosphere.

Simon

Re: Stop this infighting [was: Re: svn commit: r1151195 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk: src/java/org/apache/fop/fonts/truetype/TTFSubSetFile.java status.xml]

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
On 28/07/11 13:47, Simon Pepping wrote:
> Stop this infighting, please. We all have our strong and weak points.
> Stop attacking each other on real or perceived weak points. Cooperate
> with each other and complement each other in a positive atmosphere.

I don’t think I was attacking anyone. I realise that there is bad past
experience about this, but I don’t believe anything similar happened
here. I’m sorry if my message sounded confrontational.

If we were sitting next to each other and reviewing each other code
before committing, we would have this very kind of discussion and it
would be totally mundane. I am actually doing that almost every day with
my colleagues and it proves to be very productive and greatly enhances
the quality of the code.

The fact that we are working remotely unfortunately doesn’t allow to do
that, so we have to resort to a less-than-ideal medium which is email.
Shall we try and make the best out of it?

As a project member, one of my responsibilities is to ensure the good
health of the project. And when I see the lack of readability of its
codebase, I am extremely concerned about its viability. The experience
I have accumulated in the past few years has only confirmed my thoughts
and concerns. So I’m trying to do something to change that.

I suppose I could write a whole chapter about how I am affected by
unreadable and unmaintainable code in FOP almost on a daily basis; About
the anger, the frustration, and sometimes the total despair that result
from this. But I’ll refrain to this paragraph.

Thanks,
Vincent