Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Butcher <pa...@argogroup.com> on 2001/06/01 11:36:40 UTC

RE: Filter Chains slow first time it is called

Craig,

Thanks for your prompt reply, and sorry for my delayed reply (I was out
of the office yesterday).

> * Do you have a small test case we can use to investigate this?
>   If so, you can send it either to TOMCAT-DEV or to me in private
mail.

A .war file containing an example is attached to this mail.

> * Are your clients using HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1?

IE 5.5 and Netscape 6 are both 1.1, I believe. The protocol used by a
WAP 'phone depends on the gateway, not the handset, and I'm afraid that
I don't know the answer for the particular gateway that I'm using.

> * Does your filter create a wrapper on the servlet response, or is it
>   just passing things through?

Yes, I create a wrapper (although in the example, the wrapper doesn't
actually *do* anything ;-)

> I suspect that somewhere along the line the output stream
> isn't getting flushed or closed in a timely manner

I agree. As you can see from my code, I've added as many "flush" and
"close" statements as I can, with no effect unfortunately!

Thanks again,

pbutcher->msgCount++

--
Team Leader, Argogroup plc