Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com> on 2013/05/02 19:33:47 UTC

AS4.1 with VMware System VMs

Hi,

My system VMs are being created with a SCSI controller rather than an IDE controller so they just come up with a screen that says 'GRUB' does anyone have any ideas why this might happen?

(I THINK I built a nonoss repo.)

Regards

Paul Angus
Senior Consultant / Cloud Architect

[cid:image002.png@01CE1071.C6CC9C10]

S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540> | M: +4<tel:+447968161581>47711418784
paul.angus@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com | Twitter:@shapeblue<https://twitter.com/>

ShapeBlue are proud to be sponsoring CloudStack Collaboration  Conference NA
[https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30760149/CloudStack+Collaboration+Conference+Banner+v2+Blue+Background+Only.jpg?version=3&modificationDate=1367282397297]<http://www.cloudstackcollab.net/>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

RE: AS4.1 with VMware System VMs

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
Yeah,

You need to edit the parameters for the system VM in vCenter. Not pretty, but the default since 5.0 has been virtualized scsi.

http://www.backbone.gr/media/backbone_symbol1.pngKelcey Damage
Infrastructure Systems Architect
 <http://www.backbonetechnology.com/> www.backbonetechnology.com
 <ma...@backbonetechnology.com> kelcey@backbonetechnology.com

address: 55 East 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC, V5T 1M4
tel: +1 604 713 8560 ext:114
fax: +1 604 605 0964
skype: kelcey.damage

This message and its attachments are intended only for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to legal or other confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you.

My system VMs are being created with a SCSI controller rather than an IDE controller so they just come up with a screen that says ‘GRUB’ does anyone have any ideas why this might happen?

(I THINK I built a nonoss repo.)

Regards

Paul Angus

Senior Consultant / Cloud Architect

cid:image002.png@01CE1071.C6CC9C10

S:  <tel:+442036030540> +44 20 3603 0540 | M:  <tel:+447968161581> +447711418784

 <ma...@shapeblue.com> paul.angus@shapeblue.com | www.shapeblue.com | Twitter: <https://twitter.com/> @shapeblue

ShapeBlue are proud to be sponsoring CloudStack Collaboration  Conference NA

 <http://www.cloudstackcollab.net/> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30760149/CloudStack+Collaboration+Conference+Banner+v2+Blue+Background+Only.jpg?version=3&modificationDate=1367282397297

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
I's really the delicate side of dealing with VMware. CloudStack has it's
hands tied do to vCenter control. I can tell you from experience working
with MORs and vCAPI, they don't play nicely or easily with the
structure/framework CloudStack has.

ide you

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
Hahaha, there you go whipping out the pro-solution.

Yes that works perfectly for a stopped VM, tested it right now.

That should work for you Paul.

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
As an update:

I deployed the system vm directly from the system vm template OVA on an ESXi host, the changed the underlying disk architecture to SCSI and repackaged as an OVA.

I then ran the secondary storage system vm template script (pointing it at the new OVA).

The template was copied into secondary storage, system VMs booted and demo template downloaded - all good.

There is a global setting for IDE/SCSI disks on VMware in CloudStack, if this was honoured for system VMs then these steps wouldn't be needed?

Regards,

Paul Angus
S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447711418784
paul.angus@shapeblue.com

I'm just working through that process in order to create a new ova (you also need to edit 'ddb.adapterType' in the vmdk file according to
 http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016192 )

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.