Posted to general@xml.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2001/12/03 07:48:05 UTC

Re: [vote] Accepting Entity Resolver Donation

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> A while back, I talked to Norman Walsh (of Docbook fame, if you don't
> know him) about making his entity resolver (or entity catalog)
> implementation a full open source project, given the incredible need for
> such a thing on XML-based applications (see recent talks on xml-dev
> about XML portability, for example).
>
> Cocoon already uses such an entity resolver and since we were thinking
> about moving the most general XML-based components back into Avalon
> (so that they are available to all the rest of Avalon-aware applications),
> it would be extremely beneficial for us to have the ability to influence
> directly the code in order to make it easier to deploy and use such
> important tool.
>
> Norman wrote this code while working at Sun, but it's already licensed
> with a BSD-like license, so there are no legal obstacles whatsoever.
>
> What I proposed Norman is to bootstrap a community around this code here
> under Apache and he liked the concept.
>
> I see several possible solutions:
>
> 1) merge the donated code with an existing subproject (Xerces would be
> my choice)

The entity resolver can be attached to any SAX parser and stylesheet
processor. So it would not be appropriate to be under Xerces. Also,
the entity resolver needs high exposure, as it is a facilty that needs
to be widely used.

> 2) create a new subproject (but there might not be enough community
> diversity for this to happen)
>
> 3) place it under xml-commons, following the same charter and community
> restrictions of jakarta-commons.

This sounds like an appropriate place.

> 4) ???
There is another option ...

4) Avalon Excalibur
The Excalibur people expressed interest back in September.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=100303902726035&w=2

5) ???

> Norman suggested to make the code available separately from an existing
> product in order to increase usability and modularity, since entity
> resolution using SAX2 doesn't require the presence of an XML parser.
>
> So, there are a few votes:
>
> a) would you like to accept this code donation?

+1

> b) if so, where do you think it should be located?

I see that there are two options:
3) xml-commons
4) Avalon Excalibur

I do not know on what grounds to decide. I lean towards
Excalibur because avalon-dev have expressed interest.
However, xml-commons might ensure that the resolver
remained independent. An Excalibur component would
simply have the classes to implement the resolver - this
is what would be moved from the current Cocoon.

After expressing that, i seem to have found my stance:
xml-commons is the home for the entity resolver donation
and subsequent project.
Excalibur has a new component that hooks up the resolver
to any parser that gets used by the Avalon framework.
--David Crossley

Posted by Norman Walsh <nd...@nwalsh.com>.
/ Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com> was heard to say:
| So Here's my VOTE for adding Entity Resolver to xml-commons:
| - Davanum Srinivas [+1]
|
| Please add yours....

I'm not sure who gets to vote here, but +1 just in case I count :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | "I" before "E" except after "C": simple,
XML Standards Engineer | concise and efficeint.

Abnormal behavior of DOM(Document) methods

Posted by Andrew Anand <an...@fedex.com>.
I can retrieve the value of element(p) using
document.getElementsByTagName("p") NOT always.

I can parse my XML using XERCES  DOMParser and retrieve the value of element
p.
Even if my XML is based on a DTD which contains more than 2 child dtds,
still I can successfully parse the XML and retrieve the element value using
 document.getElementsByTagName("p") . But this is successful , ONLY some
indefinite number of times after which my application hangs.
 After this point I can still parse the XML but invoking the same method,
document.getElementsByTagName("p") results in NULL POINTER EXCEPTION.

Could you please elaborate on this aspect as soon as you can.
I think this is very abnormal behaviour for the DOM(document ) methods to
work for an indefinite amount of time.
System crashes after running normally for an  indefinite amount of time,
whenever I run a case of XML based on dtd containing 3 child dtds.

Would you please elaborate on this aspect as soon as you get a chance,

thanks,
Andrew

Re: [vote] Accepting Entity Resolver Donation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> +1.

+1, of course.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [vote] Accepting Entity Resolver Donation

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
+1.

> Since Avalon and Cocoon2 are interested, there are no other conditions
that i see at will
> disqualify Entity Resolver from xml-commons: See

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/xml-commons/README.html?rev=1.1
&content-type=text/html

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Team,