Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Sharan F <sh...@apache.org> on 2017/01/12 12:12:10 UTC

FOSDEM 2017 Open Source Conference - Brussels

Hello Everyone

This email is to tell you about ASF participation at FOSDEM. The event
will be held in Brussels on 4^th & 5^th February 2017 and we are hoping
that many people from our ASF projects will be there.

https://fosdem.org/2017/

Attending FOSDEM is completely free and the ASF will again be running a
booth there. Our main focus will on talking to people about the ASF, our
projects and communities.

*_Why Attend FOSDEM?_*
Some reasons for attending FOSDEM are:

 1. Promoting your project: FOSDEM has up to 4-5000 attendees so is a
    great place to spread the word about your project
 2. Learning, participating and meeting up: FOSDEM is a developers
    conference so includes presentations covering a range of
    technologies and includes lots of topic specific devrooms

_*FOSDEM Wiki *_
A page on the Community Development wiki has been created with the main
details about our involvement at conference, so please take a look

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/FOSDEM+2017

If you would like to spend some time on the ASF booth promoting your
project then please sign up on the FOSDEM wiki page. Initially we would
like to split this into slots of 3-4 hours but this will depend on the
number of projects that are represented.

We are also looking for volunteers to help out on the booth over the 2
days of the conference, so if you are going to be there and are willing
to help then please add your name to the volunteer list.

_*Project Stickers*_
If you are going to be at FOSDEM and do not have any project stickers to
give away then we may (budget permitting) be able to help you get some
printed. Please contact me with your requirements.

_*Social Event*_
Some people have asked about organising an ASF social event / meetup
during the conference. This is possible but we will need know how many
people are interested and which date works best. The FOSDEM wiki page
also contains an 'Arrival / Departure' section so so please add your
details if you would like to participate.

I hope this helps people see some of the advantages of attending FOSDEM
and we are looking forward to seeing lots of people there from our ASF
communities.

Thanks
Sharan

Apache Community Development
http://community.apache.org/

Re: FOSDEM 2017 Open Source Conference - Brussels

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Joerg and Michael

It was good to see Mesos represented at FOSDEM 2017. I hope you had a good time chatting to people.

I've published my short interview with Joerg on Feathercast (see link below)

https://feathercast.apache.org/2017/02/04/fosdem-2017-attendee-interview-about-apache-mesos/

Thanks again for coming along (and thanks Joerg for the interview!  Hope to see you and maybe more Mesos people in Brussels for FOSDEM next year!

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Jörg Schad <jo...@mesosphere.io>.

Fwd: FOSDEM 2017 Open Source Conference - Brussels

Posted by George Percivall <gp...@opengeospatial.org>.
There will be a geospatial session of FOSDEM 2017

The Geospatial devroom is the place to talk about the state of the art of open, geo-related data, free and open source geospatial software and its ecosystem. This includes standards and tools, e.g. spatial databases, online mapping tools, geospatial services, used for collecting, storing, delivering, analysing, and visualizing geodata.

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/track/geospatial/ <https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/track/geospatial/>

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hello Everyone

[...]

Taking a look at the schedule there are some talks about our Big Data projects \u2013 Spark, Hive, Hadoop, Calcite, Flink, NiFi etc and it would be nice to be able to have someone from these projects available on our booth at some point to talk to attendees. (NOTE: Even the \u201cQuickstart Big Data\u201d talk plans to use examples with Bigtop and Spark!)

Posted by Rm Beer <rm...@gmail.com>.
SPAM

Posted by José Antonio Ferrández <ja...@gmail.com>.
Unsubscribe. Thanks

--
*José Antonio Ferrández <ja...@gmail.com>*

Re: FOSDEM 2017 Open Source Conference - Brussels

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 12 Jan 2017, at 15:13, Sharan F <sh...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Jan
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I attended FOSDEM last year and wasn't aware of any of these issues. If you can let me have any specifics that you'd like to share (either here or offlist) then I'll make a point of looking into it.

Here’s my litmus test: what is your escalation policy should you get a report of e.g. harassment in the ASF devroom? Making one up on the spot doesn’t count :)

Best
Jan

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
And a few more pointers:

- https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/making-tech-spaces-safe-for-diverse-faces
- https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/a-code-of-conduct-is-not-enough

All from the excellent https://modelviewculture.com/issues/events — which is worth your time.

Best
Jan

Posted by Sharan F <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Jan

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org>.

Ah. My mistake. Based on http://www.sarahmei.com/blog/2015/02/01/the-fosdem-conundrum/ and personal recollection, as well as co-workers recollection, of the 2016 event, I thought there was no CoC at all until this year.

Re: FOSDEM 2017 Open Source Conference - Brussels

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 12 Jan 2017, at 15:44, Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> On 2017-01-12 08:12 (-0500), Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>> CouchDB Dev list & Sharan,
>>
>> I would not recommend attending FOSDEM.
>>
>> Their Code of Conduct is not up to modern standards (despite numerous attempts asking for improvement) and their past year’s incident handling has been sub-par to say the least.
>>
>> Your mileage my vary.
>

> They've got a CoC this year - https://fosdem.org/2017/practical/conduct/ -  which is a step in the right direction. While I agree that FOSDEM has a LONG way to go in terms of diversity, I think we should celebrate a step in the right direction, while also encouraging more steps.
>
> I think they're trying to move in the right direction, and need our help.

This is the same CoC three years running, despite feedback. The handling of issues last and year before that was non-existant (I can’t share details, obviously), so I have little hope, let alone cause to celebrate.

I’m not concerned about diversity, but people’s safety. The volunteer team is not equipped or even prepared to handle incidents concerning personal safety, and have in the past, exacerbated the problem even. We can talk diversity when we got safety done. Maslov’s hierarchy and all.

> To be blunt, as a young white man with a long beard, I think that you are in a pretty good position to help that process. I don't agree that boycotting the event is what's helpful.

I’ve spent my share the past three years trying to educate them to no avail. I personally don’t feel safe at their event. I just want to make sure people don’t go in without knowing this.

> With a great deal of help from Sharan, there's a Community devroom this year, and there's a Documentation track that has community-focused talks, and I feel like the event is making a concerted effort to improve this particular aspect. But they're at the point in the process where they can use a lot of help.
>
> Having a CoC (even a well written one) is, as you are keenly aware, only part of the larger picture. I'd love to see you (like, you, Jan, specifically) stand up to volunteer to be part of the FOSDEM committee for 2018 to specifically address this issue. I can't think of anyone better.

I’d suggest the devroom adapts this: http://confcodeofconduct.com (which I help maintain), or similar, if that doesn’t exist already. Other devrooms have had better CoCs than FOSDEM in general in the past, so making sure the ASF one is up to snuff is the least we can do.

This isn’t do distract from the hard work that goes into FOSDEM or the ASF devroom there, but this is the absolute minimum you need to do BEFORE you run an event these days.

Best
Jan

Re: FOSDEM 2017 Open Source Conference - Brussels

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ma...@jan.io>.
It doesn't even come close to the kind of conduct and abuse resolution procedures we've agreed on as the CouchDB community.

In addition I know of at least three cases in the past two years, where somebody's personal safety was at stake and FOSDEM staff either didn't know what to do, or *added to already happening abuse*.

All the while FOSDEM leadership keeps saying "nothing has happened at our events, so we don't have to work on this", while the reality is, that they choose to ignore what is going on, and in one case even perpetrate a clear CoC violation without reprimand.

With a 5k+ people event there is no way no incidents occur. I wouldn't put this past a 5-person event. Pretending otherwise from the top organisers is reckless to say the least.

So I cannot recommend going at all.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
CouchDB Dev list & Sharan,

Posted by Mike Bates <mi...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Thanks Sharan,

I won't make it to FOSDEM as I'll be in Australia visiting our newest
client.

Very good of you to reach out with this reminder though. Thanks for all of
your energy and effort on behalf of Apache.

Hope your new year is off to a great start!

Best regards,

Mike

--
Mike Bates
HotWax Systems

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Worth mentioning we already have these available:
https://www.stickermule.com/marketplace/13179-apache-mahout

Not sure who's going to FOSDEM though.

Posted by Khurrum Nasim <kh...@useitc.com>.
yes - stickers would be nice.