Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/04 09:29:26 UTC

line endings in distributions (was Editable files other than .bat and .sh files and CRs LFs)

I think we have agreement in the previous mail thread that no matter
what platform Geronimo is built on:

* they should contain the same files (no files excluded)
* the resulting zip distribution should have CRLF line endings for
viewable/editable text files and therefore is targeted at windows users.
* the resulting tar.gz distribution should have LF line endings for
non-Windows platforms.  All non-Windows users should use the tar.gz file
as the tar file also contains permission settings for the files.

Before I jump in and make the fixcrlf changes in assembly/src/maven.xml
I have some issues to discuss:

* I would like to confirm having different line endings in different
distributions isn't going to cause us any problems when moving to Maven
2.  I had a quick look at Maven 2's own assembly and it seems that an
assembly can have a number of formats (e.g. zip, tar.gz), but it appears
that Maven 2 assumes that each format will have the same line endings.
See:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/maven-core/src/assemble/bin.xml?rev=321458&view=markup
.

Maybe Brett or other Maven 2 users have some comments.

* Currently we build one IzPack installer that is used on Windows and
non-Windows platforms.  IzPack does not provide any fixcrlf type
functionality when copying files from its packs to the install location.

PROPOSAL: For the 1.0 release, use LF line endings for the IzPack
distribution and document that on the download page.  We can look at
enhancing IzPack for use in a later Geronimo release that handles
converting line endings to CRLF if installing on Windows.

Thanks,

John