Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2004/01/15 16:01:38 UTC

more sticky preferences issues...

ok, here's my latest problem...

given a 3rd party module installation

$ perl Makefile.PL -apxs /foo/bin/apxs

two issues arrive

1) $HOME/.apache-test is created when the tests are run, not when the module
is installed.  which means that even without any actual installs

2) -apxs is subsequently ignored for all but the very first time I run
t/TEST, making it impossible to test against multiple apache/mod_perl installs.

I know lots of work went into this already, but might it be worth the time
to back it all out and start with a spec first?  something that the few of
us that are interested can tweak until we thing we have all the bases covered?

--Geoff

Re: more sticky preferences issues...

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> ok, here's my latest problem...
>
> given a 3rd party module installation
>
> $ perl Makefile.PL -apxs /foo/bin/apxs
>
> two issues arrive
>
> 1) $HOME/.apache-test is created when the tests are run, not when the module
> is installed.  which means that even without any actual installs

This is the correct behavior. Does it cause a problem to you? 'make install'
has nothing to do with custom configuration unless it's an A-T or mp2 module
install.

> 2) -apxs is subsequently ignored for all but the very first time I run
> t/TEST, making it impossible to test against multiple apache/mod_perl installs.

That should now work.

> I know lots of work went into this already, but might it be worth the time
> to back it all out and start with a spec first?  something that the few of
> us that are interested can tweak until we thing we have all the bases covered?

I'm on it.

Re: more sticky preferences issues...

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

> which means that even without any actual installs
>

> I think you didn't finish the sentence?

which means that even without any actually installs [2]

:)

> I think because we test only for httpd's setting. that must be the
> reason. Try passing -httpd instead for now.

I will

>> I know lots of work went into this already, but might it be worth the
>> time
>> to back it all out and start with a spec first?  something that the
>> few of
>> us that are interested can tweak until we thing we have all the bases
>> covered?
>

> Sure, that's why I didn't want to commit it in first place. I know I've
> promised to work on fixes but didn't get to it. So unless you can wait a
> bit more, I'm fine with reverting.

if you think you can get to it within the next week or two, I'm fine to
leave it as is.  if you'd rather back it out and revisit it as a whole after
first tossing around a spec, I'm fine with that too.  really, it's whatever
you want to do - I was just offering suggestions and trying log the kinds of
things I usually use A-T for that aren't working quite right.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.