Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mihir Parekh <mi...@appliedcommerce.com> on 2003/07/03 09:25:37 UTC

Cascade Select

I would like to know is there a way to create "cascade selects"
combo-boxes using a tag library compatible with struts? Also, I would
like to know how does struts developer usually handles a situation where
second combo box is to be filled with a value selected from the first
combo box.

I am aware of following approaches, but still looking for more elegant
solution to this problem:

(1.) Refresh the jsp page on select of the first combo box, and reset
the bean for the second combo box. This approach requires a server side
call and if it takes longer to reload it becomes annoying.

 (2.) Create a pick-list instead of a combo. Pick-list pops up on press
of a select icon box. Pick-lists are not as user friendly as combo
boxes.

 (3). Create a applet-servlet bridge to access database from. The
article can be found at http://www.onjava.com/lpt/a/1342

       This approach works but requires a client side applet.

Thanks,

Mihir