Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Simon Kitching <si...@chello.at> on 2007/10/30 09:40:06 UTC

Naming of trunk directories in svn

Hi All,

I find the existing SVN dirnames for the JSF11 and JSF12 support to be confusing, and would like to propose some changes.

First to clarify, I see two different issues here:

1) Which development line is the "primary" line, onto which new features are added, and which is the "secondary" to which these features are later ported if relevant.

2) What the SVN directory names are for the two development lines.

I've got no opinion on (1), although I don't personally expect to ever work with the 1.1 line again.

However I think that the current directory names for these two lines in all of the myfaces modules are really confusing. Using "3_0_1" as the development directory for the myfaces-shared that works with JSF12 is just obscure.

As both JSF11 and JSF12 are likely to be useful to people for a long time, I would like to see:

myfaces-shared use dirs named
* "trunk-11" and "trunk-12" instead of "trunk" and "branches/3_0_1"

myfaces-core use dirs named
* "trunk-11" and "trunk-12" instead of "trunk" and "branches/1_2_1"

It seems to me that for the next couple of years there really will be multiple trunks of development, and this naming reflects that.

And of course Trinidad should be consistent with this (see separate thread re trinidad "trunk").

This would take just a couple of "svn mv" commands for the repository, and a couple of "svn switch" commands for people who currently have stuff checked out.

Alternately, the code could be split at an even higher level, with "shared-11" and "shared-12" etc. However given that both versions use the same maven project id, it seems reasonable to keep them in the same dir.

As a less-intrusive (but less useful IMO) change, myfaces-shared dir "branches/3_0_1" could at least be renamed "branches/3_trunk" and myfaces-code dir "branches/1_2_1" be renamed "branches/1_2_trunk". Otherwise once these branches are released, every developer needs to use "svn switch" to move to the new dev dir.

I apologise in advance if I'm raising an issue you have already discussed some months ago..

Cheers,

Simon

Re: Naming of trunk directories in svn

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
> As a less-intrusive (but less useful IMO) change, myfaces-shared dir "branches/3_0_1" could at least be renamed "branches/3_trunk" and myfaces-code dir "branches/1_2_1" be renamed "branches/1_2_trunk". Otherwise once these branches are released, every developer needs to use "svn switch" to move to the new dev dir.

Yes, I wondered as well, why there are two core branches "1.2.0" and
"1.2.1" instead of one "core/branches/1.2.x" branch. We do not
maintain "1.2.0" and release any "1.2.0.1" bugfix, so it makes
absolutely no sense to have these separate branches.

--Manfred