Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Arkadiy Belousov <ab...@netops.com> on 2000/07/20 18:57:19 UTC

Compiling Xerces-C++ on Slackware

I am trying to compile Xerces 1.1.0 on Slackware Linux 4.0 .

It does not compile cleanly, mind you. Some of the problems I found:

- LinuxPLatformUtils.cpp emits an #error when __USE_UNIX98 is
    not defined. It is not defined on Slackware. Moreover, in the
    Makefile in Platfors directory I found the following commentary:
# Revision 1.7  2000/01/13 23:24:04  abagchi
# Changed __USE_UNIX98 to _GNU_SOURCE
    So I went ahead and replaced _USE_UNIX98 with _GNU_SOURCE
    in the source file as well.

- LinuxPLatformUtils.cpp #includes <libgen.h> - this file is not present

    in /usr/include on Slackware. I copied it from a Red Hat
    installation. Can somenody explain what it does?

- The last problem ( I do not have a solution for it ).
    pthread_mutexattr_settype is not a part of pthreads.h on Slackware.
    I would compile Xerces w/o thread support, but I could not find a
    clean way to do it.

I may not be the best person to get Xerces to compile on Slackware,
since I did not write the code that uses Xerces, but I have to get it
done. Any suggestions and corrections are appreciated (Please?).

--
If we only had the foresight to sell 29 seconds ago!

Re: Compiling Xerces-C++ on Slackware

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
Its a trade off. Eventually, you come out worse trying to conditional a
single file to death relative to just creating another one. I don't know the
state of the Linux platform file so far, but if its already getting pretty
hairy, it might be better to create another one. If the changes are very
minor, and there isn't a lot of conditional code in there, then weaving it
into the existing one would be better.

--------------------------
Dean Roddey
The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"You young, and you gotcha health. Whatchoo wanna job fer?"

Posted by Arkadiy Belousov <ab...@netops.com>.
Arundhati Bhowmick wrote:

> Instead of modifying LinuxPlatformUtils.cpp you might need to create
> SlackwarePlatformUtils.cpp and .hpp that would take Slackware related
> calls. Its not right to copy system files of other os into yours. The
> documentation gives couple of steps to follow to make xerces run on
> system thats currently not available.

I would rather not create another platform - Slackware _is_ Linux after
all.

> The function pthread_mutexattr_settype should be either part of
> threading libraries. Mostly on other unix systems its part of
> libpthread.so or libpthread_compat.a. So, I guess you need to find out
> which library binds it and include the path to that library directory
> in your library path variable.

It _is_ in pthread.h on RedHat, but it _is_not_ there on Slackware.
I guess that Slackware uses an older version of pthreads library.

Posted by Arundhati Bhowmick <ar...@hyperreal.org>.