Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by sandeep krishnamurthy <sa...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/23 05:49:07 UTC

Request for comments - Keras-MXNet as submodule in MXNet

Hello MXNet Community,

Along with Lai, Karan and other MXNet contributors, I am working on adding
MXNet backend for Keras. Currently supporting around ~70% of Keras APIs
across CNNs and RNNs.
https://github.com/deep-learning-tools/keras/tree/keras2_mxnet_backend

We wanted to gather the community feedback on the proposal for including
this keras-mxnet package as a submodule in Apache MXNet. This will enable
providing the Keras interface for MXNet users. MXNet users can choose Keras
interface for building their Neural Networks in Symbolic Mode (Ex:
mx.keras).

*Advantages:*

1. Keras is widely popular interface that many DL practitioners are
familiar. By including keras interface within MXNet natively, we enable
many users to use MXNet with 0 learning curve.

2.  Adding as submodule and exposing natively within MXNet pip package,
would greatly enhance user experience and get more users as compared to
releasing a fork repository independently.

3. Why submodule? - Helps in easily managing with patching the latest
parent keras-team/keras developments and releases. Thereby helping us
provide users the core keras experience. Operational management.

4. Other minor advantages - Operational maintenance, pip, CI and quality
control.

Please do share your comments on the proposal.

Best,
Sandeep

*Note: *We tried merging with keras-team/keras and we created a PR
<https://github.com/keras-team/keras/pull/9291> as well. However, due to
multiple design incompatibility challenges, we need significant re-work on
MXNet Module, KVStore, Optimizers to address keras-team design concerns.
Since, we are adhering to keras API interface exposed to users, we are
planning release on the forked repo for now. More details on the design
challenges and workaround tried -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vn5ip5MzCKcN29KCCnwjB2d59y-VevdLrdn_eNd3nE4/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Request for comments - Keras-MXNet as submodule in MXNet

Posted by sandeep krishnamurthy <sa...@gmail.com>.
1. I agree bringing whole keras-mxnet repo as submodule in MXNet is not the
right thing to do. I was mainly proposing, a stripped version of
keras-mxnet which has keras interface with MXNet backend in to MXNet
enabling MXNet users to use Keras interface natively within MXNet (Ex:
mx.keras)

2. Review process in keras-team/keras has not passed due to design
incompatibility with MXNet - Keras and NOT due to any Keras API interface
issue or functionality exposed to users.

Let me rephrase my proposal for comments - "Do we want to bring in Keras
interface into MXNet?"

Best,
Sandeep

--
Sandeep Krishnamurthy

Re: Request for comments - Keras-MXNet as submodule in MXNet

[https://avatars0.githubusercontent.com/u/32447491?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/deep-learning-tools/keras/tree/keras2_mxnet_backend>

deep-learning-tools/keras<https://github.com/deep-learning-tools/keras/tree/keras2_mxnet_backend>

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.
define - not mature?

Posted by Xingjian SHI <xs...@connect.ust.hk>.

Posted by Yuan Tang <te...@gmail.com>.
-1 I don't think this has significant difference. The adoption from
existing Keras users will only come once it's landed in Keras repo. I doubt
that many people will use it unless it's more stable and backward
compatibility is guaranteed.

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yao Wang <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhi Zhang <zh...@apache.org>.

On 2018/03/23 05:49:07, sandeep krishnamurthy <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello MXNet Community,
>
> Along with Lai, Karan and other MXNet contributors, I am working on adding
> MXNet backend for Keras. Currently supporting around ~70% of Keras APIs
> across CNNs and RNNs.
> https://github.com/deep-learning-tools/keras/tree/keras2_mxnet_backend
>
> We wanted to gather the community feedback on the proposal for including
> this keras-mxnet package as a submodule in Apache MXNet. This will enable
> providing the Keras interface for MXNet users. MXNet users can choose Keras
> interface for building their Neural Networks in Symbolic Mode (Ex:
> mx.keras).
>
> *Advantages:*
>
> 1. Keras is widely popular interface that many DL practitioners are
> familiar. By including keras interface within MXNet natively, we enable
> many users to use MXNet with 0 learning curve.
>
> 2.  Adding as submodule and exposing natively within MXNet pip package,
> would greatly enhance user experience and get more users as compared to
> releasing a fork repository independently.
>
> 3. Why submodule? - Helps in easily managing with patching the latest
> parent keras-team/keras developments and releases. Thereby helping us
> provide users the core keras experience. Operational management.
>
> 4. Other minor advantages - Operational maintenance, pip, CI and quality
> control.
>
> Please do share your comments on the proposal.
>
> Best,
> Sandeep
>
> *Note: *We tried merging with keras-team/keras and we created a PR
> <https://github.com/keras-team/keras/pull/9291> as well. However, due to
> multiple design incompatibility challenges, we need significant re-work on
> MXNet Module, KVStore, Optimizers to address keras-team design concerns.
> Since, we are adhering to keras API interface exposed to users, we are
> planning release on the forked repo for now. More details on the design
> challenges and workaround tried -
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vn5ip5MzCKcN29KCCnwjB2d59y-VevdLrdn_eNd3nE4/edit?usp=sharing
>  -1.
Submodules implies that they are to be used as dependencies. Apparently it is not the case.

Re: Request for comments - Keras-MXNet as submodule in MXNet

Posted by Eric Xie <jx...@apache.org>.
-1

If you make MXNet a submodule of keras, then you should PR that to keras.
If you want something like mxnet.keras, then you should do a full rewrite that only keeps the keras interface.

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.
+1