Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "Mark J.Hershenson" <ma...@green-ant.com> on 2000/12/02 21:12:00 UTC

config/6922: Configuration fails at numerous levels

>Number:         6922
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Configuration fails at numerous levels
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
[localhost:/] root# uname -a
Darwin localhost 1.2 Darwin Kernel Version 1.2: Wed Aug 30 23:32:53 PDT 2000; root:xnu/xnu-103.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

aka Mac OS X Public Beta
I tried to configure Apache 2.0a8 with the following on Mac OS X Public Beta:

./configure --prefix=/opt/apache2 --enable-so --enable-shared=max --enable-cgi --with-optim=-O3

At a number of stages, configuration fails because it would seem that many levels have different ways of getting the config.guess/sub information, and using it.

I fixed some of the problems along the way by either editing the Makefile.in's or copying config.* into the proper places.

Additionally, unstuffing the tarball leaves a number of symbolic links which do not match up with Mac OS X / Darwin's layout.

--

Then, I tried to configure with --host=powerpc-apple-netbsd, but that fails as well.

It works for instance, tho, in directories like:

lib/apr/shmem/unix/mm/

The configuration works. In this directory, a compilation yields:

[localhost:shmem/unix/mm] root# make
./libtool --quiet --mode=compile cc -c -O2 mm_global.c
./libtool --quiet --mode=compile cc -c -O2 mm_alloc.c
./libtool --quiet --mode=compile cc -c -O2 mm_core.c
./libtool --quiet --mode=compile cc -c -O2 mm_lib.c
./libtool --quiet --mode=compile cc -c -O2 mm_vers.c
./libtool --quiet --mode=link cc -o libmm.la mm_global.lo mm_alloc.lo mm_core.lo mm_lib.lo mm_vers.lo \
    -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info `./shtool version -l c -d libtool mm_vers.c`
/usr/bin/ld: unknown flag: -Bshareable
make: *** [libmm.la] Error 1

I would easily chalk this up to a lack of testing on X, which is fine, it's young, but it does need to be addressed, as many on Mac OS X Server / Mac OS X / Darwin would like to test the server for future use.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I know it's an alpha, but it would make sense to make sure that all configure's use the same config.guess and config.sub, likely in the src directory.

Doesn't seem right that a configure would work on the base tree, and then fail in a number of folders because they use their own configure/config.*. Putting together a master config.* shouldn't be too difficult, and would allow the project as a whole to incorporate a single new host-trip/quad and support in a single file.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]