Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca> on 2009/04/03 10:05:41 UTC

what's with all the superfluous "-"s in the book pdf?

hoping i'm not about to make a fool of myself but i'm perusing the
latest PDF form of the book, and i see all sorts of leading hyphens in
the middle of commands, both via the firefox browser and thru the
"evince" PDF viewer.  for instance, picking a random page -- in this
case, p. 90 -- i see the command:

$ -svn -cat --r -1 -concept/IDEA -
svn: -Unable -to -find -repository -location -for -'concept/IDEA' -in -revision -1

  where did all these hyphens come from?  is anyone else seeing them?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.

Re: what's with all the superfluous "-"s in the book pdf?

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Robert P. J. Day!

> hoping i'm not about to make a fool of myself but i'm perusing the
> latest PDF form of the book, and i see all sorts of leading hyphens in
> the middle of commands, both via the firefox browser and thru the
> "evince" PDF viewer.  for instance, picking a random page -- in this
> case, p. 90 -- i see the command:

> $ -svn -cat --r -1 -concept/IDEA -
> svn: -Unable -to -find -repository -location -for -'concept/IDEA' -in -revision -1

>   where did all these hyphens come from?  is anyone else seeing them?

Confirmed for 1.6 book under Win32 (Foxit Reader)
No such things in 1.5 version of the book.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: what's with all the superfluous "-"s in the book pdf?

Posted by Dongsheng Song <do...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/3 Robert P. J. Day <rp...@crashcourse.ca>:
> hoping i'm not about to make a fool of myself but i'm perusing the
> latest PDF form of the book, and i see all sorts of leading hyphens in
> the middle of commands, both via the firefox browser and thru the
> "evince" PDF viewer.  for instance, picking a random page -- in this
> case, p. 90 -- i see the command:
>
> $ -svn -cat --r -1 -concept/IDEA -
> svn: -Unable -to -find -repository -location -for -'concept/IDEA' -in -revision -1
>
>  where did all these hyphens come from?  is anyone else seeing them?

It's a docbook-xsl bug,set 'hyphenate.verbatim=1' triger the bug.
Fixed  at r3481.

--
Dongsheng

Re: what's with all the superfluous "-"s in the book pdf?

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca>.
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Dave Lawrence wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > hoping i'm not about to make a fool of myself but i'm perusing the
> > latest PDF form of the book, and i see all sorts of leading hyphens in
> > the middle of commands, both via the firefox browser and thru the
> > "evince" PDF viewer.  for instance, picking a random page -- in this
> > case, p. 90 -- i see the command:
> >
> > $ -svn -cat --r -1 -concept/IDEA -
> > svn: -Unable -to -find -repository -location -for -'concept/IDEA' -in
> > -revision -1
> >
> >   where did all these hyphens come from?  is anyone else seeing them?
> >
> > rday
>
> I am seeing them aswell.  I would try with Acroread but Adobe don't do a
> 64-bit version for Linux :(  Anyhow I believe the book is a separate mailing
> list

  quite right, i repeated the post over there.  my oversight.

Posted by Dave Lawrence <dl...@ad-holdings.co.uk>.
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> hoping i'm not about to make a fool of myself but i'm perusing the
> latest PDF form of the book, and i see all sorts of leading hyphens in
> the middle of commands, both via the firefox browser and thru the
> "evince" PDF viewer.  for instance, picking a random page -- in this
> case, p. 90 -- i see the command:
>
> $ -svn -cat --r -1 -concept/IDEA -
> svn: -Unable -to -find -repository -location -for -'concept/IDEA' -in -revision -1
>
>   where did all these hyphens come from?  is anyone else seeing them?
>
> rday

I am seeing them aswell.  I would try with Acroread but Adobe don't do a
64-bit version for Linux :(  Anyhow I believe the book is a separate
mailing list

erm, you would expect to see the same results with Firefox and Evince
because Firefox uses the Evince plugin no?