Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Lars Marius Garshol <la...@garshol.priv.no> on 2001/04/29 18:14:04 UTC

Where does Crimson come from?

Hi!

I'm currently finishing a book on XML application development and am
trying to clear up a couple of things I haven't fully figured out
yet.

Am I correct that Crimson is what used to be the Sun Java Project X
parser, which was donated to the Apache Project in April 2000?

Am I also correct in that Xerces and Crimson are separate XML parsers?
If so, could someone briefly outline what the main differences between
them are, and why two different parsers are being maintained?

Will Xerces 2 be based on Xerces 1 or on Crimson? Or it will it be
rewritten from scratch?

Any and all information you can provide on this would be much
appreciated.

Thanks!

--Lars M.

Re: Where does Crimson come from?

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm currently finishing a book on XML application development and am
> > trying to clear up a couple of things I haven't fully figured out
> > yet.
> >
> > Am I correct that Crimson is what used to be the Sun Java Project X
> > parser, which was donated to the Apache Project in April 2000?
>
> Yes.
[snip]

I would agree with Arnaud's answers.  Good description of the
differences between the 3 parsers.

-Edwin

Re: Where does Crimson come from?

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm currently finishing a book on XML application development and am
> trying to clear up a couple of things I haven't fully figured out
> yet.
>
> Am I correct that Crimson is what used to be the Sun Java Project X
> parser, which was donated to the Apache Project in April 2000?

Yes.

> Am I also correct in that Xerces and Crimson are separate XML parsers?

Yes.

> If so, could someone briefly outline what the main differences between
> them are

In short: Crimson is a recursive descent based XML 1.0 + Namespaces
parser, with SAX2 and DOM Level 2 Core support. Xerces is a state
machine based parser, supporting XML 1.0 + Namespaces, XML Schemas, with
SAX2 and DOM Level 2 (Core, Mutation Events, Ranges, Traversal).

> and why two different parsers are being maintained?

Politics...

> Will Xerces 2 be based on Xerces 1 or on Crimson? Or it will it be
> rewritten from scratch?

Xerces2 is already there, see xml.apache.org. The internal APIs and
architecture is not frozen yet but it's working. It's basically a
complete rewrite with different requirements but it is based on Xerces.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group