Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Saurabh Barve <sa...@atmos.colostate.edu> on 2005/05/16 23:42:43 UTC

spamd running as root

Hi,

OS - Fedora Core 2
SpamAssassin - version 3.0.3
I have the following options set for spamd in /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin:
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m5 -H"

But I keep getting this message in my logs:

spamd[19758]: info: setuid to root succeeded
spamd[19758]: Still running as root: user not specified with -u, not
found, or set to root.  Fall back to nobody.

To fix this, I tried to run spamd as the user `mail'. However, when I
try that, I get the error that 'spamd does not have permissions to write
to /root'. How do I get spamd to know that mail's home directory is at
/var/spool/mail. Is it a good idea to run spamd as mail?

Thanks,
Saurabh.
"Yours is to work. The results will take care of themselves"
-- Swami Vivekanad

Saurabh Barve
sa@atmos.colostate.edu
(970)491-7714

Re: spamd running as root

Posted by Saurabh Barve <sa...@atmos.colostate.edu>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 05:42 PM 5/16/2005, Saurabh Barve wrote:
>
>> To fix this, I tried to run spamd as the user `mail'. However, when I
>> try that, I get the error that 'spamd does not have permissions to
>> write to /root'. How do I get spamd to know that mail's home directory
>> is at /var/spool/mail.
>

> Set mail's homedir to /var/spool/mail in your passwd file. Spamd just
> picks up the homedir from what the OS tells it.
>
>>  Is it a good idea to run spamd as mail?
>

> That's somewhat reasonable, although it would be a little bit better to
> run it as it's own deprivleged user.

mail's home directory is set up as /var/spool/mail in /etc/passwd.
That's why I was surprised that SA didn't pick it up. I'll try again.

Re: spamd running as root

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.