Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2009/01/22 04:10:39 UTC

content management with categories

I am looking at a way to manage content with categories. I get now
plenty of documents via the emailattachements in the system and it needs
some organization

There is a way to manage DataResources with categories, however with the
limitation that a dataResource can only be in one datacategory.

David, you were the original designer of this data model, do you have
any thoughts about this?

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Re: content management with categories

Posted by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com>.
Sounds good, saves another few entities.....

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 20:46 -0700, David E Jones wrote:
> There is no need, you just need the Content and ContentAssoc entities
> for any conceivable structure.
>
> Think of a Content record as a placeholder for individual DataResource
> records and for sub-content records. It is all about the structure of
> the content, and just points to DataResources which have the actual
> text or whatever.
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 21, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>
> > is the introduction of a ContentCategory and a ContentCategoryContent
> > for a many to many relationship with content an acceptable solution?
> >
> > On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 20:27 -0700, David E Jones wrote:
> >
> >> If you really want to organize DataResources, then the way to do it
> >> is
> >> through Content records. A single DataResource record can be referred
> >> to by many Content records, and those Content records can be part of
> >> all sorts of different Content structures: documents, lists, trees,
> >> graphs, etc.
> >>
> >> -David
> >
> > --
> > Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

--
http://www.antwebsystems.com :
Quality OFBiz support for competitive rates....

Re: content management with categories

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Sure, no problem. The design is really quite simple.

DataResources are meant to be just that, data resources... kind of
like a file in a file system. Just like a file, a data resources can
only be in one group and a group can only be in one other group (ie it
is a real tree). This allows for consistent organization with "a place
for everything and everything in its place", and just one place.

In practical applications DataResources should never be used alone,
they should always be used through one or more Content records.
Content records are much more flexible in their structure and can
support lists, trees, and graphs.