Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by karrageorgiou giannis <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2019/11/22 19:54:52 UTC

[users@httpd] apache not (always) reading a proxy's response

dear apache users and developers,

I have a (reverse)proxy application that receives a POST request from httpd. Sometimes,
it has to refuse the upload early on (e.g. when target filename pattern indicates that it
should not be overwritten). Then, it writes an refusal explanation and closes the connecting
socket without reading the POST stream

if the refused POST data are relatively short, the browser gets the explanation-response.
For large files though, apache returns his own answer (502), so the explanation is lost to
the remote user.

It seems that apache won't read the response while it still has something to send (but
finds the writing end of its socket closed) ???

the only solution that I've found to make apache to act sanely, is just read the incoming
bytes and drop them; but this is wasteful (i.e. waste time/bandwidth uploading 100MiB, to
be eventually told that you are administratively not allowed to write a target file)

thank for any answer/idea/pointer
giannis