Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@eurobell.co.uk> on 2002/05/19 12:45:26 UTC

[collections] Naming of collection wrappers classes (PredicateUtils et al)

Hi,
The thread on the possible inclusion of another group of collection wrappers
has made me wonder if the PredicateUtils was named correctly. PredicateUtils
contains two groups of code:
1) Collection wrappers to provide the entry to collection checking
functionality
2) Commonly used predicates (And, Or, Not, True, False, InstanceOf)

I am currently developing another group of collection wrappers which also
rely on Predicate. Also, there are other classes in the commons collections
area that use Predicates (CollectionUtils, FilterIterator for example).

Thus I propose splitting PredicateUtils in two:
PredicateCollections  (#1 above)
PredicateUtils  (#2 above)
(This can be done as PredicateUtils isn't in a release yet)
This would then cause the proposed LazyUtils to be named LazyCollections.

IMHO, the change of name would better clarify the purpose of these
collection wrapper classes. If agreed, I will do the split.

Stephen