Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com> on 2002/08/05 16:14:09 UTC

RE: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

> Since we are talking about code, CVS logs are our WIKI.
> That's the intention.

You're not serious?

I'm not talking about file level changes, I'm talking about design documents,
project roadmaps, proposals, etc. How do they get put into a CVS log?

Cheers,

L.

Re: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Leigh Dodds wrote:
>
>>> Since we are talking about code, CVS logs are our WIKI.
>>> That's the intention.
>>

>> You're not serious?
>> I'm not talking about file level changes, I'm talking about design
>> documents, project roadmaps, proposals, etc. How do they get put into
>> a CVS log?
>

> I commit the change, it gets reviewed there, live.
> If I want to make a document I commit it, and others change it, I get
> notified via log, I change again or discuss, etc.
>
> I don't see what a WIKI brings developers more than VCSes.

It does.

Re: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Monday 05 August 2002 16:46, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>. . .
> If no, would you all like me to set this up on my server, and if its
> successful we'll move it to some place bigger?

+1

There have been talks of having a wiki for Cocoon for a while, it would
certainly be good for both developers and "documentors". Much more efficient
than a mailing list when collaborating on specs or documentation IMHO.

(There is wikiland which runs on Cocoon, but I don't know how far it is in
its development. Right now the server at
http://www.anyware-tech.com/wikiland/ seems to be down).

-Bertrand

Re: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Do we (Apache) have a server to set this up on?

If no, would you all like me to set this up on my server, and if its
successful we'll move it to some place bigger?

-Andy

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Monday, August 5, 2002, at 10:52  AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:

>> I think you missed the point. We have lots of RTs, discussions, etc,
>> and
>> the only way to get them is through archives, or sometimes some good
>> soul [summary]izes them, and again, these summaries are available in
>> the
>> archive. Wiki will allow to keep this information online, browsable,
>> and
>> *editable*.
>
> Yep thats exactly what I meant.
>
> Wikis are a 'step up' from a mailing list archive because they have a
> low barrier to entry (it's just as easy to click 'edit this page' as it
> is to click 'new msg'), but there's the ability to go back and revise
> documents. E.g. to add more information, mark stuff as implemented
> or rejected, rationale behind decisions, etc.

I agree. If we have the resources available we should try **any**
approach that increases doc/author input. Even better if such a wiki
system includes (or we can add on) a structured text -> xml tool (based
on new document dtds?). Converting even well-summarized email posts into
cvs doc commits still takes an overly large amount of commiter time. I'm
really not an experienced wiki person, so I'm sure I'm missing out on
many ways to make my volunteer time more productive.

Still, we're starting to get great input on cocoon-users related to doc
content. The doc list (just recently formed) is getting some traffic; I
believe it serves a different purpose -- doc discussions, not simply
editing/changing. Wiki could become another great tool, but let's keep
all of our options open and continue to encourage all efforts, however
they manifest.

> I've personally being organising my Cocoon notes into a wiki I
> have running locally -- something which I'm hoping to release
> publically soon.

Great.

> Some of it can easily be converted into HOW-TOs and other snippets
> which I'll send to Diana as soon as I get time.

I'd love to know more about this "easy" conversion process. And thanks
for the doc draft, Leigh, along with your other helpful
developerWorks-hosted tutorials! Thanks also to Andy, for offering to
host such a system.

-- Diana

RE: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.

It contains all the notes I made whilst writing up my three Cocoon
tutorials with developerWorks, so there's a fair chunk of content there.
Hopefully everyone can benefit from it.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Leigh Dodds wrote:
>>Since we are talking about code, CVS logs are our WIKI.
>>That's the intention.
>

> You're not serious?
>
> I'm not talking about file level changes, I'm talking about design documents,
> project roadmaps, proposals, etc. How do they get put into a CVS log?

I commit the change, it gets reviewed there, live.
If I want to make a document I commit it, and others change it, I get
notified via log, I change again or discuss, etc.

I don't see what a WIKI brings developers more than VCSes.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -