Posted to user@flink.apache.org by PedroMrChaves <pe...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/08 09:44:44 UTC

Isolate Tasks - Run Distinct Tasks in Different Task Managers

Hello,

Assuming that I have the following Job Graph,

(Source) -> (map) -> (KeyBy | Window | apply) -> (Sink)

Is there a way to assure that the map operator (and all its subtasks) run on
a different
task manager than the operator (map | window | apply)?

This would allow JVM memory isolation without using YARN.

Regards,
Pedro

-----
Best Regards,
Pedro Chaves

Re: Isolate Tasks - Run Distinct Tasks in Different Task Managers

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Yes, simply set the number of slots per TaskManager in YARN to 1. That
gives you the isolation.

Posted by PedroMrChaves <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
There is currently no way in Flink to define such scheduling constraints.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
Internally, Flink defines through SlotSharingGroup which tasks may
share a task manager slot. By configuring each TaskManager to have a
single slot and configuring the slot sharing groups accordingly, you
can get the desired behaviour.

You can specify the slot sharing group for an operator like map by
calling slotSharingGroup(String). You would have you set a different
slot sharing group for the window/apply part.

Does this help?