Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mirek Rewak <ca...@daminet.pl> on 2003/05/02 10:05:12 UTC

Questions about Flows

Hi,
I just read about Flows in Cocoon and it is quite interesting for me.
I've got a couple of questions about it:

1) Isn't it a little mess to have webapp processing defined in sitemap
and flow? Let's say I've some actions defined in sitemap that do
some logic. Should I reorganize my app to call logic only within flows
and make sitemap responsible for matching requests and presentation?

2) Wouldn't it be bad if I use flows not even in complex behaviour?

3) What about performance? Wouldn't architecture strongly based on
flows have noticeable worse perfromance?

4) How to use XMLForm with Flows? I'd like to see flow's 'prefs' example
using xmlform.

5) How to get a sitemap parameter in Flow?

6) And finally. Are the Flows mature enough to use?

Thanks in advance.

 Mirek Rewak

RE: Questions about Flows

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
Mirek,

> From: Mirek Rewak [mailto:cave78@daminet.pl]
> Hi,
> I just read about Flows in Cocoon and it is quite interesting
> for me. I've got a couple of questions about it:
>
> 1) Isn't it a little mess to have webapp processing defined
> in sitemap and flow? Let's say I've some actions defined in
> sitemap that do some logic. Should I reorganize my app to
> call logic only within flows and make sitemap responsible for
> matching requests and presentation?

I don't think it is a mess - for me it's a clear separation.

Some people like actions and some like flow. The only think I wouldn't
do is combining actions and flow within the sitemap.

> 2) Wouldn't it be bad if I use flows not even in complex behaviour?

No, not at all! I think it makes writing 3-line-actions obsolete.

> 3) What about performance? Wouldn't architecture strongly
> based on flows have noticeable worse perfromance?

Sorry, I haven't seen any figures yet!

> 4) How to use XMLForm with Flows? I'd like to see flow's
> 'prefs' example using xmlform.

There are two versions of the XMLForm controlled by Flow. See the
examples!

> 5) How to get a sitemap parameter in Flow?

See the petstore examples in the scratchpad!

> 6) And finally. Are the Flows mature enough to use?

I would say from a technical point of view yes - but the contracts are
not stable which means that the object model which is available within
your flow functions and some function names are not fixed and may change
until 'Cocoon 2.1 final' will be released.

Reinhard