Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com> on 2004/07/22 19:59:27 UTC

authentication support in lucene

Hi:

    Maybe this has been asked before.

    Is there a plan to support ACL check on the documents in lucene?
Say I have a customized ACL check module, e.g.:

     boolean ACLCheck(int docID,String user,String password);

     And have some sort of framework to plug in something like that.

    I was looking at the Filter class. I guess I can read the entire
index, for each document, feed it to the authentication module, if
authenticated, bitset the docID and return the BitSet instance. I
sounds very slow for large hits. I guess  I can play with cacheing
etc.

     Any other ideas?

Thanks

-John

Re: authentication support in lucene

Posted by Kelvin Tan <li...@relevanz.com>.
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:09:25 +0100, Dave Spencer said:
>> I implemented ACL checking via Filters. Caching filters definitely helps, but
>> may not be applicable in every situation. I stored the UUID of each document
in
>> the database as well as in Lucene. That way, by retrieving a list of
accessible
>> documents via SQL, I can create the necessary BitSet.
>
> Maybe the only hope then is different indexes based on coarse grained
> "roles", not find grained ACLs.

That really depends on how much access (low/high-level) you have to the security
subsystem.

Different indexes can be pretty expensive to maintain, and creating a new role
involves creation of a new index? *ugh*

kelvin

Re: authentication support in lucene

Posted by Dave Spencer <da...@tropo.com>.