Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Mo DeJong <md...@cygnus.com> on 2000/12/16 22:56:24 UTC

Re: [wrowe@rowe-clan.net: RE: *.exports in distro bundle, use of , Perl on Windows (was: Re: make_export.awk)]

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> -----
>
> From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
> Subject: RE: *.exports in distro bundle, use of Perl on Windows (was: Re: make_export.awk)

I guess I don't follow the logic there. How exactly would Windows
developers run the configure script if they did not have Cygwin
installed? Last I checked, perl did not read sh files, so you
would need to have a version of /bin/sh on the Windows box
to be able to run configure. I was not aware that there was
a pure Win32 version of /bin/sh, I had always assumed people
would be using Cygwin to run the ./configure script. Since
Cygwin does not come with perl and it does come with gnu
utils like sed and awk, we should use the utils and not
perl. Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

RE: [wrowe@rowe-clan.net: RE: *.exports in distro bundle, use of , Perl on Windows (was: Re: make_export.awk)]

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Nak, no, you cannot incorporate cygwin on win32 for apr/apache,
and, no, Win32 doesn't run ./configure, and no, we don't expect
anyone on win32 to handle installation of anything beyond the
easy-to-install activestate perl, or we incoroporate the Lucient
licensed awk.  Apr itself is not built on cygwin porting.

This is a copy of CYGWIN_LICENSE from the cygwin sources...
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) as
published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version.

and that, for an Apache project, is the kiss of death.