Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/22 17:03:39 UTC

Graduating OpenNLP

Hi all,

the Incubator is not a place where we can stay forever and the time
has come to decide where we will go.

We did now two releases, where the first one was mainly about
migrating from SourceForge and the second one was developed following
the Apache-way with over 100 jira issues fixed, often with help from
our community.

The move to Apache was a great step forward. We grew our community
and made the project more attractive to other open source projects.

Theoretically we have three ways we can take, graduate to a Top Level
Project,
graduate to a Subproject or leave Apache.

Making OpenNLP a Top Level Project seems as the best option for us.

We have an open and diverse community, and I believe OpenNLP will have long
term success at Apache. Many things tremendously improved over the
SourceForge
days and we are now able to work on the project as a community, which is
really
a distinction from most other open source NLP projects.

OpenNLP sees good adaption/integration by other Apache projects, such as
Stanbol, UIMA,
Lucene/Solr (via UIMA and direct integration is planned) and Clerezza.
All these collaborations
are a good advertisement for us and will attract more users over time.

At Apache we will have a bright future and will be able to make one of the
best open source NLP toolkits.

Please express your opinion about graduating OpenNLP.

Jörn

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Alec Taylor <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 TLP

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 for TLP!

A quick additional note: I've been somewhat inactive for the last several
months due to various life factors, but I'm expecting to be able to take a
much more active role in 2012.  Also, it's been great to see all the recent
activity, and sorry for my silence!

Jason

--
Jason Baldridge
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Aliaksandr Autayeu <al...@autayeu.com>.

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Aliaksandr Autayeu <al...@autayeu.com>.
> In my opinion Apache OpenNLP has demonstrated a nice understanding of the
> Apache way, I think one thing to keep eyes on is the so called 'bus factor'
> [1] as it seems Jörn is far the most active committer [2]; it'd be good if

there is a more balanced commit rate between all the committers.

I have contributed few
patches<http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?view=&branch=&sound=&logMessage=autayeu&from=19940821&to=20111123&path=%2Fincubator%2Fopennlp&author=&IssueCode=&filename=&filetype=>,
which were nicely integrated by Jörn, so those might have had a different
name on the commit, increasing the bus factor.

Aliaksandr

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
In my opinion Apache OpenNLP has demonstrated a nice understanding of the
Apache way, I think one thing to keep eyes on is the so called 'bus factor'
[1] as it seems Jörn is far the most active committer [2]; it'd be good if
there is a more balanced commit rate between all the committers.
However, apart from that, I'm +1 for graduation to TLP.
I'd advice to take a look at the 'guide to successful graduation' [3] in
order to understand what the board and Incubator PMC expect from a project
graduating to TLP.
Tommaso

[1] : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor
[2] :
http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fincubator%2Fopennlp
[3] : http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel

p.s.:
WRT Lucene/Solr integration I've given a talk at latest LuceneEurocon about
'Natural language search in Solr' (
http://www.lucidimagination.com/devzone/events/conferences/ApacheLuceneEurocon2011_presentations#tommaso_teofill)
and used OpenNLP inside UIMA to demonstrate how NLP can help on
improving
recall/precision.

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
+1 to become a TLP

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by "william.colen@gmail.com" <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 TLP

RE: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Boris Galitsky <bg...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Alex Holt <le...@gmail.com>.
+1 To Go To Apache top level

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
I recently came to OpenNLP mainly because of its integration within
UIMA and because of its approach in terms of NLP tasks and not
algorithm centered. In future, I would like it to include capabilities
for easy feature configuration and for may be considering alternatives
to the MaxEnt algorithm.

Probably that a TLP is the best way to pursue its developing
+1

/Nicolas

Re: Graduating OpenNLP

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.