Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Liam <st...@hotmail.com> on 2002/05/14 17:21:21 UTC

using forEach with ArrayList? - bug??

Hi

We have been trying unsuccessfully to iterate over an ArrayList object using the JSTL tag forEach.

We think it could be a bug, but then we may be  using it wrong :-). Although we have successfully managed to use forEach for iterating over Collections (which are in a bean).

this is out code snippet

               <%
                  ArrayList classifiers = Classifier.DA.getAll();
                %>
                    <c:forEach var="classifier" items="$classifiers" varStatus="status" >
                        <option>
                          <c:out value="${classifier.name()}"/>
                        </option>
                    </c:forEach>

Any help/advice on this is much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Liam.
com21.com
Temp. contractor.

Re: using forEach with ArrayList? - bug??

Posted by Paul DuBois <pa...@snake.net>.
At 16:21 +0100 5/14/02, Liam wrote:
>Hi
>
>We have been trying unsuccessfully to iterate over an ArrayList
>object using the JSTL tag forEach.
>
>We think it could be a bug, but then we may be  using it wrong :-).
>Although we have successfully managed to use forEach for iterating
>over Collections (which are in a bean).
>
>this is out code snippet
>
>                <%
>                   ArrayList classifiers = Classifier.DA.getAll();

request.setAttribute ("classifiers", classifiers);

I dunno if that's really the "right" way to do it, but it works for me.
I'd be glad to know if there's an approved way, if this isn't it.

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Tue, 14 May 2002, Liam wrote:

> this is out code snippet
>
> <%
>   ArrayList classifiers = Classifier.DA.getAll();
>  %>
> <c:forEach var="classifier" items="$classifiers" varStatus="status" >

Two problems:

 - The syntax for expressions is now ${expr}, not $expr.  You need to
   write ${classifiers}.
 - Simply declaring a scripting variable (through your "ArrayList
   classifiers" declaration) isn't enough to make the data accessible
   to a JSP tag.  If you create it manually in a scriptlet, you'll need
   to add it to a scope using pageContext.setAttribute().

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSP Standard Tag Library"   http://www.jstlbook.com