Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Theodore W. Leung" <tw...@sauria.com> on 2002/02/05 00:26:34 UTC

[3rd party jar] w3c

The w3c jar looks like a concatenation of various java-binding jars
from the W3C web site.  It only appears in xml-cocoon/lib.

I believe that checking in a copy of the W3C license file as
w3c.LICENSE will solve the problem.  I have a small doubt because w3c
jar is a collection of files from multiple jars.  If someone on the PMC
with more legal background can confirm, that would be great.

Re: [3rd party jar] w3c

Posted by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ge...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>.

--On Dienstag, 5. Februar 2002 05:20 -0800 Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> ...why don't we just store the uri where the required jar can
>> be found and let "ant" get those jars for us?
>
> For the same reason that I was opposed to changing the Xerces-J
> build to pull the xml-commons code from CVS: it requires a net
> connection to build the code. Plus, some of the URLs may require
> a user to register and/or accept some license agreement before
> downloading the package which would complicate the process of
> automating the download.
>
> So, licenses permitting, I would prefer to keep the jar files
> in the repository.

You're right, the requirement for a network connection is really bad. But -
I used this in the xml-security sub-project. I do load the cryptographic
service provider (the JCE imlementation) from a location outside the US (I
didn't want to put the cryptographic stuff onto the Apache site which is
inside the US), so the JCE is downloaded from Australia. In that particular
case, the people from the other project (http://www.bouncycastle.org) are
very helpful and support this behaviour.

Regards,
Christian

Re: [3rd party jar] w3c

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

RE: [3rd party jar] w3c

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > This is just an idea...
> >
> > All the messages about 3rd party licensing made me think...
> >
> > ...why don't we just store the uri where the required jar can
> > be found and let "ant" get those jars for us?
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Can ant click on "I agree" button when license is being presented by the
> web site?

Well, thats not required for all of the jars, is it?
I'm sure one could implement something like automagically
login in - but this might be problematic in terms of
licensing, too.

Don't know...
--
Torsten

RE: [3rd party jar] w3c

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Torsten Curdt [mailto:tcurdt@dff.st]
>
> This is just an idea...
>
> All the messages about 3rd party licensing made me think...
>
> ...why don't we just store the uri where the required jar can
> be found and let "ant" get those jars for us?
>
> Comments?

Can ant click on "I agree" button when license is being presented by the
web site?

Vadim

Re: [3rd party jar] w3c

Re: [3rd party jar] w3c

Re: [3rd party jar] w3c

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

On 4 Feb 2002, Theodore W. Leung wrote:

> I believe that checking in a copy of the W3C license file as
> w3c.LICENSE will solve the problem.  I have a small doubt because w3c
> jar is a collection of files from multiple jars.  If someone on the PMC
> with more legal background can confirm, that would be great.

If they where all obtained under the same license; just one will do.
Otherwise just get the liceses for the 2 or 3 parts it is contructed from
and concatenate them and/or do something like w3c.LICENCE.1.txt, 2.txt...

The point is that anyone who gets some code from an ASF repository or tar
ball needs to be able to cleany find out what agreements he is entering
into when using 'our' stuff.

Dw

Re: [3rd party jar] w3c

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.