Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2001/09/22 00:14:00 UTC

jasperLog -> what does it do?

Hi all,

While starting up a servlet that uses Jasper, it refuses to load with
the following error:

2001-09-21 16:37:09 StandardContext[/thh]: Servlet /thh threw load()
exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet jsp threw
exception
[snip]
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: org.apache.jasper.Constants: field jasperLog
not found
[snip]

I am assuming a parameter needs to be set in the config somewhere, but
I'm at a loss as to where to look. Is there any configuration docs for
Jasper anywhere?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

Re: jasperLog -> what does it do?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> Do you by chance have pieces of Tomcat in your system classpath, or your
> system extensions directory ($JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext)?

I discovered that there were pieces of jasper and some other .jar files
in the servlet directory I was given. Going through these jar files and
eliminating most of them solved the problem of the jasperLog - and got
to the point where the app was running...

Some success at last :)

Re: jasperLog -> what does it do?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Jasper is normally configured in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml file --
there's lots of comments about it.  However, this error sounds like
something wrong with the classes themselves -- "jasperLog" is a public
static variable in the Constants class.

Did you build this version of Tomcat yourself, or are you using a binary
distribution?

What does your web.xml entry for this servlet look like?  What does the
page look like?

Do you by chance have pieces of Tomcat in your system classpath, or your
system extensions directory ($JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext)?

Craig