Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2006/07/09 04:39:57 UTC

Intelligent imports with a custom hook.

Though I have done this in a non-ofbiz way, I would like to open
discussion on intelligent imports.
Here is one scenario I use:
Each supplier is assigned a party ID.
under that the order email is placed.
This is so incoming emails from this supplier can be looked up under
their code.  the PartyID is a 3-5 letter code assigned by the client.
The this is a preference.
Then each supplier is given a Facility to deal with inventory.
The inventory is transfered per order.

some suppliers send daily inventory updates.
These are sent in various formats from tab delimited to csv.

so instead of brute force import, the file has to be parsed then
added/updated to the suppliers facility(ies). I have one supplier that
has 3 facilities so the inventory imported into each one.

Here is the framework I would like to see.
a Map is passed to a custom parser for that suppler and then is imported
  into the facility is was meant for. when calling  the service the
custom routine is passed in.

any thoughts.

Re: Intelligent imports with a custom hook.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Yes I have supplier that are not only FTP but web based.
I also have added clients ability to upload their own information, which
is then scan for and parsed.

I was not looking to include how to get the data in this, just how to
parse then put in to ofbiz

here is the general outline:
1) get data source (hook) for custom or included gathering of
data(FTP,Web,Upload, Email).
2) Process the data (parse) (hook) for custom or included parsing of data.
3) import data to ofbiz thru the services, like placing an order.

4) possible a loop of 2 and 3 for multiple items like products or
orders. but only one type per process.

David Welton sent the following on 7/9/2006 12:28 AM:

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/